Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Well, stealing is wrong, nomatter how old you are or how little money you have... so that's not very harsh...

On the other hand, if you should obtain that image, you could alter it somewhat in (your legal copy of) Photoshop, thus making it your own work (though based on the original photographers image). That should take you around most copyright acts... at least in most European legislation, it can be different in other parts of the world...

Just had an extreme Lemmings flashback, as to digging yourself out of a hole... :D

The alteration would have to be on a grand scale for it to ever be considered 'your work', and even still you'd have to buy the rights first. All this issue about copyright is silly because the intent of these sites is to sell photography for commercial use. They are hardly concerned about a guy wanting the image on is desktop.

evilernie

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2005
Buy it?

CrackedButter said:
As a student of photography, it sickens me to know that cheapskates like you won't just register and buy the damn thing. To think a pro photographer (who spent more on a camera than you would on a computer) is going to get ripped off when somebody does as you asks.

I hope they do more than watermark images in the future to stop this kind of theft, like DRM for images just like music. Its clear you want it, why not pay for it?

Its things like this that prevents me from showing people online the photos I take as a student. Many times I have wanted to show one of my images in the desktop threads. Some would make fantastic backgrounds, yet at the moment only I can enjoy them because of people like you.

C'mon now, it's not going on the cover of Time magazine. They just want to use it as a desktop picture. :eek: Would you pay at least $50 for that?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
evilernie said:
C'mon now, it's not going on the cover of Time magazine. They just want to use it as a desktop picture. :eek: Would you pay at least $50 for that?

You are talking to somebody who has paid 50 euros for a single font!

If it is truly something you want then you should pay for it if somebody is selling it. We all saved up for our macs, rather than steal them. Why should a single image be any different?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Mantat said:
I understand your frustration, BUT what is your gain in not sharing your student artwork with anyone?

If your pictures are as good as you say, build a transactionnal website and sell them. Of course many people will simply rip the image but some people will also be willing to buy them, especialy if you only offer the 640-480image for free. Right now, you dont make a buck with these images, if you sell them for 1$ each you would at least make some cash and get experience and popularity.

You are acting exactly like the Disk Majors right now. This line of thinking will only hurt yourself. Be proactive, dare to offer a product and people will come! Many people dont know that it can take hours to take a good picture and process it, but if they knew they wouldnt be so inclined to get it for free. It is all about information, same as with music... There are always going to be people who will argue that they dont want to pay for it, forget them, serve the ones who are interested insted...

If you need help to make such a web site, PM me, I have connexions ;-)

First, my gain, is that nobody else has any of my images. However shortsighted that sounds.

I don't think I am acting just like the disk majors, I simply wanted to prove the point when it comes to images. I really do want my images out there on the net and a website sounds nice, maybe in the coming gap year I can do something about that.

Thankyou

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Seems like I would be the last person as well to do this...

But this *image* is mine and I took it while in japan. You can have it if you PM me. Not as good but of a high quality and royalty free. :)
There is one thing that annoys me about this image, there are no clouds, the sky has no texture. Other than that, it is okay.

http://homepage.mac.com/crackedbutter/PhotoAlbum46.html

Attachments

• Image-808221EE76EE11D9.jpg
    Image-808221EE76EE11D9.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 214

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
CrackedButter said:
Seems like I would be the last person as well to do this...

But this *image* is mine and I took it while in japan. You can have it if you PM me. Not as good but of a high quality and royalty free. :)
There is one thing that annoys me about this image, there are no clouds, the sky has no texture. Other than that, it is okay.

http://homepage.mac.com/crackedbutter/PhotoAlbum46.html

Nice photo CrackedButter. Did you do any Photoshop to get those rich greens? Or is that untouched?

cyanide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2005
Chicago
sure! i actually took this photo for them.. no, but honestly i have several that are extremely similar from my stay in Germany. PM if you want to see them.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
CrackedButter said:
As a student of photography, it sickens me to know that cheapskates like you won't just register and buy the damn thing. To think a pro photographer (who spent more on a camera than you would on a computer) is going to get ripped off when somebody does as you asks.

I hope they do more than watermark images in the future to stop this kind of theft, like DRM for images just like music. Its clear you want it, why not pay for it?

Its things like this that prevents me from showing people online the photos I take as a student. Many times I have wanted to show one of my images in the desktop threads. Some would make fantastic backgrounds, yet at the moment only I can enjoy them because of people like you.

You know, as a student of photography, I would like nothing better than people looking at my work and saying "I want that." The more people who can see my work, the more people that can like my work, the better. As long as people are not making any money off of my work, great!

Am I the only one who feels this way?

irmongoose

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
irmongoose said:
You know, as a student of photography, I would like nothing better than people looking at my work and saying "I want that." The more people who can see my work, the more people that can like my work, the better. As long as people are not making any money off of my work, great!

Am I the only one who feels this way?

irmongoose

The main point to my post was that it takes a bit of work to get a good image and its not always a clever shapshot, it takes hard work and money, I feel those last 2 points are lost on some people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.