Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g0gie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
So yeah,

the 15'' powerbooks have been a HUGE dissapointment and now im actually considering a dell lattitude d610. You can get one with some REALLY nice specs for 1500 without any coupons (even cheaper wtih discounts ect). What do you guys think? Will the intel pb's come out by feb? should i wait? Technically i can wait, but it is a inconvienence to not have a laptop to take with me places. I guess im looking for some reassurance on waiting for the next pb's. CONVINCE ME!

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
why should i convince you?

get what fits your needs. if you need a laptop NOW, get one NOW. If you need a PowerBook for some reason - software, most likely - get a PowerBook.

Just think about how you'll feel a few months from now, and have fun shopping.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
janey said:
why should i convince you?
Because you'll get brownie points... duh!

I'm considering getting a dual-core Pentium D Sony VAIO to use with Sony Vegas 6. It's pretty cheap coming in at around $1100. Haven't made the purchase yet, since I have an abhorrence to all things Microsoft software-related.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
g0gie said:
I guess im looking for some reassurance on waiting for the next pb's. CONVINCE ME!

Nobody knows if the next wave of PB's will be saddled with additional problems unique to them. When it is time for a computer purchase, you have to go on the basis of prior experience, faith in the company and then you need some luck.

Even when a product line is free of a persistent defect, there will still always be some poor souls who get stuck with the occasional lemons that make it through production. It is terribly disappointing to find yourself in that position, but there is no insulation from problems. In 1995 I was not pleased while watching an Apple technician disassemble my Performa 575 all over my desk once the audio stopped working after two weeks.

Reassurance is something we all love to have, but the likelihood of design flaws and other miscellaneous problems on future releases is not that high. If the problems with the lines on the PB's has left you with serious doubt, you might want to wait until the new ones are out and get a solid feel from the feedback posted here before buying.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
why would anyone consider a Dell PC? don't americans build their own computers? it just seems like every american has a Dell thats all :) or an Apple of course.

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
Well, if you can't wait, I would point you towards the 630m. We just bought a few for work and our guys lov'em.

But wait if you can for the new PBs. I am sure they are worth the wait.

And compared to what other people think, I feel very confident that the rev A's of the new PB will be perfect in design.

1) Apple swithing processors again...can't afford to piss us and developers off...

2) The whole damn board is going to be made by intel with the exception of the GPU. Same chips they put on all there PC boards (meaning they are tried and true with millions of MS users), just a different layout. So I see no hardware issues except on apples part getting the drivers for OS X.

cheers...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'm looking at getting a Dell. I want another desktop PC to replace my old one and I've never done Dell so I figure I may as well give them a try.

Of course, I still have my iMac and iBook as the main computers.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
g0gie said:
So yeah,

the 15'' powerbooks have been a HUGE dissapointment and now im actually considering a dell lattitude d610. You can get one with some REALLY nice specs for 1500 without any coupons (even cheaper wtih discounts ect). What do you guys think? Will the intel pb's come out by feb? should i wait? Technically i can wait, but it is a inconvienence to not have a laptop to take with me places. I guess im looking for some reassurance on waiting for the next pb's. CONVINCE ME!

The PBs are decent actually, just pump it up with upgrades.

Why not a Thinkpad? Dells are really shitte.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Its quite simple.

If your buying a mac for looks alone then you are a fool. The only reason to buy a mac is for a) the operating system b) the specific mac software c) the synergy / compatability for proffesional work (design work matching a printers color and format etc..)

I need to work on mac to guarantee all my design work integrates without any fiddling with both press (newspapers) and printers who all use macs. It allows me not to worry about making sure the color reproduction is 100% accurate or that the person recieving my work at the other end will be able to open and work away on my files, as they all use macs.

If you don't rely on any of those MAC facets, and if the software you use is available more-over on PC, then thats the reason to buy DELL or any other windows hardware.

If the Dell offers you everything you need and you have no need for any mac benefits; then the desicion should be simple. Your need or lack of; for mac hardware probably wont change in three months regardless of what apple do. :rolleyes:

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
MacRumorUser said:
Its quite simple.

If your buying a mac for looks alone then you are a fool. The only reason to buy a mac is for a) the operating system b) the specific mac software c) the synergy / compatability for proffesional work (design work matching a printers color and format etc..)

If that's the case maybe you should present a business case to Steve, the Dell-line of products.

Basically this line will be a play on Dell's piss poor quality by making this line in particular having the same quality that Dells are known for. Being cheap and shitte in quality.

And trust me on this, while some will probably buy them, for the most part it will probably never ever happen!

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
dont get the newese PB then
get like a Ti book 1ghz those are classsics that look great and wont let you done
or go with a new ibook and pimp it out (those are solid)
i cant belive im sating this go with sony at least
anything but dell

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
MacRumorUser said:
Its quite simple.

If your buying a mac for looks alone then you are a fool.

There are a lot of people out there that we may or may not agree with, but they think Windows XP is at least as good as OSX. All other things being equal, I'd say it's better to buy a Mac for the looks than to buy a PC.

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
doucy2 said:
or go with a new ibook .......... (those are solid)
No they're not. Just the voice of personal experience talking. I've treated mine like a baby for a year, and so have 2 colleagues at work. All 3 have (or have had repaired) screen hinge and bezel problems, due to the material not being up to the job. Maybe they don't dent like an aluminium case, but thats no consolation when the bloody things break.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
generik said:
If that's the case maybe you should present a business case to Steve, the Dell-line of products.

Basically this line will be a play on Dell's piss poor quality by making this line in particular having the same quality that Dells are known for. Being cheap and shitte in quality.

And trust me on this, while some will probably buy them, for the most part it will probably never ever happen!

Ok i'm being thick I guess, but I dont quite follow you?

I prefer Mac, but the gOgie does'nt seem to care or have any specific reason to use a mac and that's my point.

He's not happy and feel's dissapointment with the hardware, in which case if he's happier to go over to pc hardware - in this case DELL and feels no need to stick with Apple and its associated benefits, then he may as well do so.

I'm not saying DELL are great quality, they are not (you basically get your monies worth) and you wont find much nicer looks laptops than apple's but that's not a reason alone to part the cash for a mac over anything else.

My cousin recently bought a 6100 laptop for college and whilst it's white thick plasticness offends every pore of design sensibilitys I own, for her it looked ok and as it's only word and excell she is ever going to use I couldn't justify her spending twice the amount of money for a 15" powerbook with similar spec.

if for gOgie 'bang for buck' is a large priorty than OSX, design ethos etc.. Then the Dell would be a good choice I guess. Though I wouldn't change my powerbook for anything other than another powerbook :D

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
g0gie said:
...and now im actually considering a dell lattitude d610. You can get one with some REALLY nice specs for 1500 without any coupons (even cheaper wtih discounts ect). What do you guys think?

Since you are buying it for yourself: Go ahead, buy it. It's not my money you are wasting.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
gnasher729 said:
Since you are buying it for yourself: Go ahead, buy it. It's not my money you are wasting.

Exactly !!! gOgie already feels like he's wasted his money on a PB and if going over to Dell or anything else will make him happy, then go ahead... It's himself he has to please, somthing he certainly is not at the moment. :rolleyes:

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
It's just a tool, so whatever fits your needs. But a Dell? See if the proper mental treatment is covered by your HMO.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
g0gie said:
So yeah,

oh my god! heavens no! the sky is falling! :confused:

seriously, whats the big deal? buy what you think makes sense...you shouldnt feel bad for what you own, even though the weirdos here might want you to think otherwise.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Be prepared for spyware, viruses, and all the crap windows xp has to offer!!

But seriously, I've had a pc for about 3-4 years now, and I just can't stand windows xp anymore. I'm sick of maintaining my computer so often, such as defragging, virus scanning, spyware scanning, all that optimization crap. In your situation, I'd get a PowerBook despite the poor upgrades, just because it runs OSX. I've been happy with this iMac G5 for a while now, not just because of it's good looks, but its efficiency.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.