Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
I just got my iPod Photo...and what can I say? It is the single most COOLEST and well designed iPod I have ever used, and I have used them all. What I think the problem is that people are freaking out that this is just for photos and not for videos or anything. I looked at it like it was more like "iPod Color" which is what you all should too. I mean, you could view pics on a regular 4th Gen but it would just be in Greyscale. The subtle color accents to everything sends chills through my spine. You tell me the last time you got excited to see a "Do Not Disconnect" sign? I thought so. It is just things like that. From the battery, to the games, to the calendar...You can read them beautifully now. Everyone was saying when a color iPod was rumored, "Color on iPod? There would be no battery life. You don't need to see all those things in color" but now, because of the excellent battery life Apple has squeezed into this, you might now only hear "You don't need to see all those things in color." Little things like album art during songs is just incredible. Apple has taken my iTunes expeierience and successfully put it into an iPod. This iPod box was heavy, and it should be...It has SO much crap in it! Apple could have skimped on us and not included little things like a dock and the A/V cables but guess what? They did! And of course, included two little cases for it which is nice. Photo slideshow on TV? Flawless and not to mention, effortless. So easy, so smooth, so right. I can't really say enough about this but I sold my current iPod and got this one and I am glad I did. I will never look back, only forward. I can't reccomend this product enough. I suggest all of you consider it highly if you are in the market for an iPod but EVEN if you aren't. At least go play with it at the Apple Store. Please check it out as it is such a work of art. Have a great day!

ipodphototra20041026.jpg

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I can't wait! I am going for a 40GB. My big debate is this, I was told by Santa that I could pass on any large gifts and go for the color iPod now or have to wait until well after the holidays... what to do! Would be so cool to be sporting a new iPod color for the holiday season... but then sometimes Santa brings some unexpected items... I feel so selfish.

Thanks for the great review, I can't wait to head to the Boston store and try it out.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
How is that you receive on saturdays and I have to be at work while my package arrives at home :eek: ...

My order says on 9th or before... the longest days this season.

Congratulations!

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
I really am in awe with this, guys...

It's not even about the Pictures...They are just such an added bonus. My thousands of photos hardly took up any room at all. Now I just need more music...It's hard going to this after having to consolidate for my iPod Mini Library. Oh well...iPod Photo = Greatest thing since the 1st gen iPod. Also, I know some people were complaining that there is no direct photo transfer but in the manual it says that 3rd party products will be available, so there you go. I am staring at it as I type this and...BLISS.

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
AmigoMac said:
How is that you receive on saturdays and I have to be at work while my package arrives at home :eek: ...

My order says on 9th or before... the longest days this season.

Congratulations!

I got mine at the SoHo Apple store...They are going like HOT cakes, which myself and others might argue that they are...

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
t300 said:
I got mine at the SoHo Apple store...They are going like HOT cakes, which myself and others might argue that they are...

I can't get to the apple store for another week.. so could you tell me more about the little stuff? Like what is solitaire like in color, stupid question but stuff that I want to know. Is the calendar any better? Any new games?

Technical question, have you tried putting any high quality images directly on it? This is the part I will be most interested in, I don't expect high performance from high quality images but know that I will be using my media reader with mine and will be wanting to view imported photos on the go.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
t300 said:
Yes, I saw that. I wouldn't be TOO worried. Mine is fine and I tried their little test, too. As usual, if there is a problem Apple will take care of you but yes, it sucks anyway.

Thanks, hopefully this means that the problem is limited to just a few photo Ipods. The first 3rd G iPod that I had suffered from the clicking between tracks fault and had to be returned, so I was hoping that I would not be hit again by a glitch. Fingers crossed!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Your thoughts pretty much exactly matched mine. Who cares about the photo viewing? I just want a color screen and awesome battery life! :D

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
Well, the little things get me...

Brick in color...WAYYY better.
Parachute....WAY better.
Solitare...WOW. It is stunning looking.

Calendar...Simplistic beauty.

I never thought I would feel so strongly about "Brick" in color but it just sums up how I feel about the entire new iPod. Whether people choose to refer to it as a brand new iPod, I do not know...But I do know this little baby is my 5th gen!

Amazing. Everything is smoking. All of you...Buy one!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm gonna have to check these out in person... I mean, sounds cool, but I don't see how it could be anywhere near as amazing as you describe. But isn't that always the case with apple's products until you see them in person? :)

t300

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
QCassidy352 said:
I'm gonna have to check these out in person... I mean, sounds cool, but I don't see how it could be anywhere near as amazing as you describe. But isn't that always the case with apple's products until you see them in person? :)

Oh, BUT they are...They are. See for yourself. Sell a kidney for one of these if you have to.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm perfectly content with my 4G iPod, thanks. The colour screen may be great, but I like the size and weight of mine. Actually, I'd like it to weigh less, not more. I jog, and since I'm not much of a gimmick-y person, I would probably never view photos on my iPod, just like I would almost never use a mobile phone's camera. I'd like the colour screen alone as an improvement, but not at the expense of size and weight.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
t300 said:
Oh, BUT they are...They are. See for yourself. Sell a kidney for one of these if you have to.

You cannot sell body parts on eBay, otherwise I'd have a 15" PowerBook with a 128MB video card and a 40GB iPod Photo... :rolleyes:

verces

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2004
Made my mind that was made up even more made up.

I'm getting one without a doubt by the end of November or the middle of it. Its going to be a mission, but going for the cheapest price, I have no choice...

This kind of post just makes me want to get it even faster.........I have 2 more exams...tomorrow and wednesday...I will surely be thinking about the iPod nonstop after the exams....

iPod Photo or no photo, I don't care. As long as its 40GBs with Color screen. Its mine.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm really in awe of the picture subject itself. They are both beautiful, makes it look so real. :D

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Likewise, I just wanted a colour screen and greater battery life - done!

Though there is still the one killer feature missing - a 3rd party developer SDK. Developers are chomping at the bit to start developing for it, games in particular. (Relatively) bit colour screen, 20MB memory, 40/60 GB of non-volatile memory. Yummy.

stevehaslip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
The Ocean Floor
has anyone managed to track an iPod Photo down in london yet? I looked around yesterday to all my usual Apple stops but couldn't find a single one to oogle at :( Anyone else been able to find one?

tsaxer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2004
Tuscaloosa, AL
I hate the boonies

Well, I don't really live in the boonies, but there aren't any Apple stores around here, I have to drive up to Tenn, or over to GA. About 3 hours either way.
So I have a question for those who own/have played with the 60GB. What is it's 'feel' comparison compared to, oh, say, a 30GB 3G? I can see te specs, but really, does it feel graceful, or more brick-like?

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
wdlove said:
I'm really in awe of the picture subject itself. They are both beautiful, makes it look so real. :D

Yeah, it took me 2 seconds to scroll all the way down that picture to realize it was from the Apple site... For the first 2 seconds (when I got just below the picture), I thought, holy crap t300's girlfriend looks just like mine!

:) :D

BigEvan23

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
case size

will the small difference in size between the photo 40 and regular 40 cause any harm when using certain cases or prevent cases from working...thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.