OMG! - Most of my Mac Applications are not responding

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by xDeathReaperx, Jan 12, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Programs such as iTunes, EyeTV, Skype, PhotoBooth, etc just RANDOMLY stop responding. I always have to restart my Mac to get them to respond again. The programs work fine on a guest account.

This is my first Mac and this is my only problem with it please help. I don't want to return it to Apple it's worked so great.

PLEASE HELP!

2. macrumors 6502a

cerote

Try to repair permissions.

Go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

Then select the drive that has OSX installed on. Click repair tab then verify permissions. If it finds a ton then click repair permissions.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

This won't delete anything off my HDD will it? Please say no because im in the proccess of doing it now.

4. macrumors 604

chrono1081

5. macrumors 68020

munkery

It won't delete anything.

6. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Woah, just for ***** and giggles I checked my permissions and got this : /

Hopefully repair mode on mac doesn't delete things like repair mode on Windows does....At least I have a really good back up scheme.

Attached Files:

7. macrumors 6502a

cerote

That's verify disk. He needs to run verify permissions. But man that is a lot of red. I have not had a bad disk though so not sure if it deletes anything or just moves stuff around.

8. macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

9. chrono1081, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

macrumors 604

chrono1081

FYI repair disk does not delete things. I just did it to mine.

EDIT: To clear up confusion repair disk was not part of the OP's question. His was repair permissions which will not delete things.

I kind of hijacked the thread with my verify disk post (sorry OP but I posted it incase your situation reached the level mine was at). I just wanted to let whoever know that repair disk does not delete info. (The repair disk that you have to use your OS disk -> Utilities for).

10. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Are people really suggesting that repairing permissions is going to delete things? :rolleyes:

11. macrumors 6502a

cerote

No he was asking about verify disk. And nobody was suggesting it was. He asked if it did and we had no answer.

12. macrumors 68020

munkery

In terminal try the following:

cd ~/Library/Preferences
    plutil -s *.plist

and/or

cd /Library/Preferences
    sudo plutil -s *.plist

This will verify your preferences. See if the plist for the affected apps are corrupted.