OMG, office 2004 for Mac, is so expensive...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iWinnipegger, Nov 8, 2006.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

Nov 8, 2006
    i didn't think it'd be this expensive,,,i'm a student and i'm buying a MacBook,,,why is office 2004 for mac so expensive...?

do u think it's worth it buying this software or will i be able to use iWork for school and stuff...??
  2. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Aug 6, 2006
    If you are a student, check with your school.. You may be able to get a copy at a reduced rate. Also, check out the Teacher & Student edition.

Finally, you could always give the free NeoOffice or OpenOffice a try...
  3. SMM macrumors 65816

Sep 22, 2006
    Tiger Mountain - WA State
    Welcome to the world of Microsoft and predatory pricing.
  4. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Um... $150 isn't too bad for Office, and most schools have special deals as well.

iWork is a good suite, but you might find that you really need Word*, or perhaps Excel (which doesn't yet have a matching iWork app).

However, if at all possible, I strongly recommend waiting until January to buy (see if you can find a 30-day trial, or, in fact, use the one that probably came with your MB), as iWork will be updated, and Office might be.

*Edit: for compatibility. Pages is a great app, but not perfect when exporting to Word.
  5. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

Oct 12, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    I use iWork exclusively for school stuff. As long as you don't need a spreadsheet program iWork is a cheap alternative. Keynote is amazing. I get comments all the time when I give presentations like "how on earth did you do that in PowerPoint!?" It's a great feeling to say that I didn't do it in PP. Both Keynote and Pages have difficulty exporting to Word and PowerPoint when it is more than just the basics, but I don't usually have to turn in the file anyway.
  6. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    Office will likely not be updated in January. The Windows version isn't supposed to be out until late spring/early summer, and the Mac version is a few months behind that. It might be 2008 before we actually see the next Office.

I know some institutions that sell Office for just $79. You should check with your school's computer store to see if there's a deal for students at your school.
  7. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    ABiWord is a good substitute for Microsoft word. (yes, it is for Mac too.)

OpenOffice is good for the rest.
  8. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Jun 13, 2006
    The education price direct from apple for office is $99.

I know here the smalldog retail store has it for $79.

All software is expensive- have you checked to see how much Photoshop CS costs? But, that said, iWork is probably fine unless you need microsoft excel.
  9. MRU macrumors demi-god

Aug 23, 2005
  10. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Jun 4, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    ? Office for Mac is roughly the same price as Office XP. Assuming the OP actually bought Office XP (unlikely, seeing as how its one of the most pirated programs out there), he shouldn't be complaining.

Anyway, check your school or see if a friend would go in with you on one. I believe a license is good across 3 computers? (might be wrong) I bought Office XP for $20, and Office Mac for $49 (? i forget)
  11. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

Feb 8, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    $120 for a full-featured Office Suite is a pretty good price, especially when one considers that the license allows it to be installed on three computers.
  12. VeganBryan macrumors member

Jan 25, 2006
    i'd hold off on buying office until they release a version that is universal. it'll be a much better investment.
  13. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    Buy it from your college. Mine offers Microsoft Office (the full version - none of this "student teacher edition" junk) for $80.

The only downside is after you install it on two computers, it expires.
  14. interpolic macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2006
    Newcastle, Australia
    Um, I think you all should actually look up what predatory pricing really is...

Its setting a very low price to prevent competition, not gouging customers with high prices.
  15. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

Aug 6, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    if you need it, buy it... especially if you get a student price. just think yourself lucky that you are still eligible and not paying $300+ for a piece of software.

you soon find that excel and word, while bloated are necessary for any sort of real interaction with the world. excel is so worth the price you would pay for the pivot report functionality - how i lived and worked without ever using that before i dont know. not sure if that sort of functionality is in the neo/open office.

i know its painful when your limited to a tight student budget but it will make your life easier - i wouldn't hang off buying it hoping for the Universal version as they will release the windows version first and thats a way off yet.
  16. Willis macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2006
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    From what I remember in a Microsoft notice, Office 2007 for Windows will be out between Feb-April (cant remember) and the Mac BU said Office 2007 for Mac will be out 6-8 months afterwards. Same with the next update of Messenger which WILL encorpate Webcam support!

Office is reasonable in rosetta.. it isnt lighting, but then, it never would be anyway.

I did a PP on the MP the other day, and it worked like a champ.

So a MB shouldnt be too bad for it to handle.
  17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    That's what I'm talking about. Optimism about MS projections... :eek: but I would really like to see this come out. UB please.
  18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004

it might be available sooner than that....just the other day I saw a news report saying Office 2007 had been released for manufacturing. The report I read said that it would be available to microsofts big business customers later this year and it would be on the market for consumers early next year
  19. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    NeoOffice is working fine for me, and will be until MWSF.
  20. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Jun 21, 2006
    That's the Windows version.