OMG! OMG! OMG! Doom III is coming to the MAC!!!

Discussion in 'Games' started by BaghdadBob, Feb 14, 2004.

1. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

It's true! Despite all the press to the contrary there will be Doom III for the Mac!

AMAZING!!!!

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

3. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

also provide all that press that says it won't

4. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

Chopper Bandit: are you there?

Chopper Bandit has the l33t inside infoz on this hot topic of debate! Only he can possibly reveal the true nature of this top secret project from the dungeons of idsoft!

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Actually, Doom III was demoed on a G4 at a MacWorld a while ago. That was the last I ever heard about the Mac version except for some things by id saying they are still going to support the Mac.

6. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

LIES!!! This is l33t inside infoz here, there is nothing to substantiate Doom III on the Mac other than our top-secret files!

7. SPeedY_B macrumors newbie

Wasn't it first demo'd on a mac? with the first public demo of a GeForce 3? or am I just lost and confused? :p :p

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It was announced for the Mac ages ago (over a year ago?). It's funny to see people making such a big deal over it.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

true and they were demoing it on a dual g4 and carmack said it runs slow on the mac. I dont know why a big secret if its coming to mac. the whole darn world knows the Pc version is coming to PC. whats the big deal. if we got it coming our way simply say so iD!:rolleyes:

10. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

11. ScottDodson macrumors 6502

ScottDodson

CRAP!!! Stinkin bandit beat me to the links :(

Well I got this too, not as great as the others...but gamespy knows whats up...

Doom 3 FAQ

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

hey Macbandit thats funny because i sent inside mac games a email on the very same thing earlier today. i also noticed they were saying a fall 2003 release and your right about carmack saying a inhouse job of the mac version. what surprises me is you would think all versions in the same box but Pc resellers make no mention of mac. I guess this means they will have a seperate mac box. lets hope it comes out the same time and in a g5 optimized code!:cool:http://www.doom3.com/ here is the home page with a awesome trailer.

13. monarch macrumors newbie

this is old news....doom3 was announced a long time ago that it would be ported to the meager mac gaming market

14. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

:cool: <---- Take this smiley and make it frown! And put a trenchcoat on it.

Now we must all swear the secret blood-oath that the news of this port will never leave the confines of MacRumors.

l33t infoz I tellz ya!

15. SPeedY_B macrumors newbie

I think it may of already left us.. :p :D

16. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

they aren't having a separate box - the executable will be downloadable. you have to buy the PC box and d/l the app from iD.

17. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's not surprising that DOOM III will come out for the Mac. id has made it a point to stick with industry cross-platform standards so that their games are easy to port to Linux. Now that MacOS X is even more standards-based (and closer to Linux in heritage) it's even easier.

I wish more development houses would be like id and use OpenGL instead of DirectX. There's nothing about DX9 that gives it more capability. OpenGL can run shader code just as easily, I'm just not sure there's a standardized higher-level shader language in OGL yet. I'm sure there will be in OGL 2.0 though.

--Cless

18. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

It's "id". "id!!!" Not "iD" or "ID" or "Id"!!!

It's a psychology term. Freudian.

id!!!!

19. howard macrumors 68020

howard

most if not all id software comes out on mac now adays

20. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

It has since at least Wolfenstein 3D, I just don't think it was simultaneous until Quake.

BTW, Doom II ran better on a Mac. Go Lionsoft!

What happened to those guys?

21. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I just received a reply to my email I sent to Inside Mac Games.

22. LoadRunner macrumors member

I don't know why every one keep calling D3 a port. It isn't a port. It's included liberary compile. It's a black box job. Carmac never said it would run slow on the mac. But he did say the mac requirements may be slightly higher then the pcs.

id anounced Doom III at macworld. We've known all along there would be a mac vertion.

btw there is a good chancethe first public beta of doom III will be for the mac. That is if they do a public beta. That's what happened with q3a.

23. BaghdadBob thread starter macrumors 6502a

BaghdadBob

I don't think if he said anything of the sort it applies to the G5s. No doubt he's had the specs for some time, and has made optimized code for it.

Carmack is so talented it boogles me sometimes. I have absolute faith in his coding abilities. I know he has a team...but he is the god of 3D. Period.

[edit] I was referring to system requirements.

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Well we know that when the announcement was made he made it clear that you would have to have a Geforce3 to play it well. Well video cards have nearly tripled or quadrupled in speed since the Geforce3 also at the time of announcement we still hadn't reached a single GHz machine and the most powerful dual was an 800MHz dual.

He demoed it running on those systems so I would say that the majority of Mac users will have plenty of horsepower for the final version if they do they're optimizations properly like they did with QuakeIII.

25. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i think the demo was shown on a dual 1 gig quicksilver and he had said it ran a little slow. I also remember him saying it will run about half the speed of my favorite RTCW or one fourth of quake3. bottom line is a G4 isnt going to make it pretty. sure it may run but when frames are below that 32 thats when the fun is taken out. I would disagree a majority of G4 users will be wishing they had more clock cycles unless running those dualies.