omg please help... (Finder sidebar empty)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sleeves, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Sleeves macrumors newbie

hi im new to the forums i check the site often, but this time in your help when i click on my Macintosh HD my finder window comes up and then there is no items such and pictures, movies and etc.... i need help

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Welcome to MacRumors. :)

Do you mean items on the left, in the sidebar? Press the bubble-thing in the top right to get it back maybe.

Otherwise, if you mean the items in the actual window, press COMMAND-2 to see if anything comes up? Also, if you press COMMAND and click on the title of the Finder window, where does it say it is? FWIW, COMMAND is the key with the Apple logo on it. :)

3. Sleeves thread starter macrumors newbie

hi, thanks for repling so fast when i command-2 it goes to lines and when i click command and title up the top it come up with Macintosh HD and then my name's imac g5. but i am stilll unable to see even my HD on the left of veiw :S

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, okay, but if you hit the button in the top right corner, does the sidebar reappear?

Picture 1.png

5. Sleeves thread starter macrumors newbie

no it does not when it hit it the first time the sidebar and silver borders go away and when i click it once more it goes back to itself with out sidebars

also to add i restarted my comp and now every time i click on a folder and a new window is opened, like it doubles it self when opening the folder. how my i get rid of this

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, maybe post a screenshot. Sorry, but not sure I know what the problem is. You can take a screenshot by pressing COMMAND-SHIFT-4 and then dragging a box around the area you want captured. :)

7. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Maybe you should look at finder's preferences (Command + ,) for side bar options. Did you click them all off by accident? And have "Always open folders in a new window" selected under general?

**EDIT**
    actually is there a small divot-like icon on the far left in the middle. Click on that and pull to the right.

**EDIT**
    I guess not

Attached Files:

8. Sleeves thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i got the screenshots picture 2 is the sidebar where the sidebar items are no longer there

Attached Files:

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well make sure they're checked in Finder's preferences as neocell said. :)

Picture 1.png

10. Sleeves thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i done the window thing in general, thanks for that.

but now as like what you were saying before i looked at mad's screenshot and i cannot click the bottem three i dunno if they are locked somehow

Attached Files:

11. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

You can always just find the missing folds and drag and drop them to the side bar to keep links/aliases there.

**EDIT**
    Any famous suggestions mad jew

?? repair permissions ?? ;) :p

12. Sleeves thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm have i like locked somethign so that i cannot move it anymore?

and neo i dont quite get what you are saying with the

"You can always just find the missing folds and drag and drop them to the side bar to keep links/aliases there."

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. Maybe it's related to this problem:

I'm not sure I understand this problem fully. Sorry, but could you spell it out a bit more simply for me (I'm a bit slow sometimes).

In the meantime, do you have any system hacks or theme changers installed?

Oh, and I'd laugh so hard if repairing permissions worked. There's a slim chance. It's worth a shot. :)

You should be able to drag folders to that sidebar to create a shortcut to them. :)

14. Sleeves thread starter macrumors newbie

nah i dont get the whole repair permissions thing. but i dont know how a restart would of made it, when i found the problem after it did it. hmm i just wanna know what made all the stuff go away because i cant even add anymore folders or anythiing into it

15. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

How about trashing the appropriate .plist file? mad jew? Do you know which one :confused:

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well there's com.apple.sidebarlists.plist and com.apple.finder.plist, I think it's more likely the latter but try them both. Drag them to the Desktop and then restart. Out of interest, do you have the same issues if you set up a new user account? :)

17. shinmaikeru macrumors newbie

empty or blank sidebar in finder

I am having exactly the same problem as this guy did. I cannot turn on the icons in the sidebar, and the sidebar is blank... nothing. I deleted the pref file for sidebar, but it wasn't recreated, and the problem is unsolved. Please help.

Edit: I created a new user Test, and the sidepanel of the Finder was exactly the same.

18. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

have you tried manually dragging items into the sidebar?