Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
thedude110 said:
This reviewer, on MSNBC of all places, details the difficulty of installing a Vista Beta 2.

I especially enjoy the attempted install that made his Thinkpad reboot every ten minutes.
I think what worries people is the fact that vista has been in development for a good year or two (maybe longer) and it's still not stable and nowhere near ready to ship. This article just proves that. I seriously don't understand how this OS can be so unstable and have been in development for so long (and it was recoded to make it more stable). Yes I know it's a beta, but a piece of software this far in development should be infinitely more stable. I also love how MSNBC was so negative about vista. You could tell this man genuinely hated installing this OS. Also once it was installed it still wasn't that stable.

nxent

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2004
seattle
sk1985 said:
OSX still looks a lot cleaner and easier to use. Start windows are so early 90s. Thats such a dated function. Its also funny how they blatantly stole OSX's way of displaying widgets (gadgets in this case). Also to get that look you need a pretty new PC which kind of sucks. OSX's look for the most part is accessible to almost all macs made in the last 3 to 4 years. Aside from the eye candy, I really think OSX looks leagues better. I imagine with OSX's next build you'd have a heavy version of it (i.e. more eye candy then what's already used) and a normal version like the one we have now. Anyway I bet Leopard will look smoking and I bet Stevie J's next OS will be even better then vista (OSXI).

this is true, but remember when osx first came out, it practically obsoleted the G3 machines of the time. i had a 500mhz g3 ibook which was blazing under os 9, but under os x it definitely suffered. i'd say it took a year or two for apple's entire line up to 'catch up' with the amount of computing power needed for os x. i'm assuming windows will go through a similar phase.

stunna

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2005
^rofl
wait til you guys see directX 10 games and what windows live has to offer
and urge :)
the os is more than just looks
the developer tools will be interesting

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
mkrishnan said:
I do have to say that there are some pretty nice features in Vista... in particular, I think MS has always done a really nice job with built-in help in their apps (particularly in Office) -- better than Apple built-in help. They've had features like the "show me how" thing before, but it's nice to see it get more broadly implemented.

On the other hand...it does concern me a little bit that he typed in "word" in the search engine, and got one hit, for WordPad. :eek: I got 3400+ hits for Word on my iBook, and it *still* managed to make MS Word the first hit. :p From that Aero Ferris Wheel thing, he had plenty of apps installed. And presumably content. And was clearly surprised that Word didn't even manage to come up on the hit list. They might need to work on that! :eek: :eek:

I thought that "Word" just wasn't installed on his machine. It was probably the first ap that he thought and just typed it in. And with the 3400+ hits for Word on your computer, I believe he is was search for aps and not documents, so it wouldn't find that many.

Thats just what I think I saw anyway.

Flash memory
Don't have enough RAM to launch an application? If you have a USB drive greater than 258MB installed, a feature called ReadyBoost can direct Windows Vista to use some of that flash memory for an added assist. If you have a hybrid hard drive with built-in flash, Windows ReadyDrive can use that memory to save your desktop work session for fast access upon reboot.

I thought that this was kinda cool.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
Lots of eye candy, but not enough for me to switch. I do love the awesome compatibility of Windows, I give it that. Hey, Windows has been a great OS for me, ever since XP. XP is still ok. It is quite simple to use and to teach(I teach a computer club on macs, school recently upgraded to eMac G4 instead of iMac G3). Windows is simple layout, but I can not stand it's compatibilty win VIRUSES.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
xli_ne said:
I thought that "Word" just wasn't installed on his machine. It was probably the first ap that he thought and just typed it in. And with the 3400+ hits for Word on your computer, I believe he is was search for aps and not documents, so it wouldn't find that many.

Oh, so there are separate search bars for different kinds of content (at least docs vs. apps) in Vista? That would make more sense. And yes, only a couple of the hits for Word were apps on my iBook. I dunno. It's certainly possible Word wasn't installed.

Whatever, desktop search from whomever, as long as it works, is a beautiful thing. I love Spotlight so so much. :) It will be nice to have wider search capabilities on the Windows computers I use, although, realistically, the chance that IT here will upgrade to Vista before I get my PhD is next to nill, as the majority of computers here are Win2k and they've just recently migrated a handful to XP/SP2. ;)

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
They still have the stupid startbar and taskbar, that dumb taskbar gets so super cluttered when you have 8+ windows open, to sit there and scan them one at a time with that taskbar preview thing is just about the same as opening, and then minimizing, NOTHING like F10 Expose does.

While you hope it's new file structuring is a big leap ahead, and their new admin stuff helps prevent more virus', it still thinks and runs like a windows machine, MS is totally limiting themselves because they're afraid to change 10 yr old processes that everyone is used to doing. They still limit themselves to the creativity they had in Win 95, Start, Taskbar, etc etc.

I'm sure Leopard will totally smoke Vista, but, just like Tiger, only a few Tech places will even give credit, 5 years from now (maybe) when Vista 2 comes out the Leopard features will show up and they'll hail them as totally inovating, screwing Apple out of more recognition.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
wheezy said:
I'm sure Leopard will totally smoke Vista, but, just like Tiger, only a few Tech places will even give credit, 5 years from now (maybe) when Vista 2 comes out the Leopard features will show up and they'll hail them as totally inovating, screwing Apple out of more recognition.

I don't agree, of the reviews I've seen on CNet, ArsTechnica and in the Guardians Technology pages they gave Tiger a lot of credit, saying it was offering now what Vista would on release, maybe they're in the minority though.

I expect to see a lot of Vista vs. Leopard reviews when it's released. What's interesting is when Apple'll release Leopard...

G99

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
mkrishnan said:
I do have to say that there are some pretty nice features in Vista... in particular, I think MS has always done a really nice job with built-in help in their apps (particularly in Office) -- better than Apple built-in help. They've had features like the "show me how" thing before, but it's nice to see it get more broadly implemented.

On the other hand...it does concern me a little bit that he typed in "word" in the search engine, and got one hit, for WordPad. :eek: I got 3400+ hits for Word on my iBook, and it *still* managed to make MS Word the first hit. :p From that Aero Ferris Wheel thing, he had plenty of apps installed. And presumably content. And was clearly surprised that Word didn't even manage to come up on the hit list. They might need to work on that! :eek: :eek:
Lol. I agree :p
I read somewhere that the transparent windows make it harder to see which windows is frontmost. But, maybe that's not needed anymore, because of the innovative Flip 3D :eek:
BTW, everyone is saying they copied OS X with flip 3d, but in fact it looks more like Solaris' "Project Looking Glass".
Also, loads of people who have problems with computers, use Windows. Vista looks to be extremely complicated for these people. (Do you think they're going to understand Flip 3D, and gadgets? I'd say no). Flip 3D is overly complicated. M$ definitely sacrificed usability for eye candy here.
All in all, still looks like some work could be done. When it comes out, I think it would have caught up with OS X Tiger (just! :p )

G99

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2006
Eraserhead said:
I don't agree, of the reviews I've seen on CNet, ArsTechnica and in the Guardians Technology pages they gave Tiger a lot of credit, saying it was offering now what Vista would on release, maybe they're in the minority though.

I expect to see a lot of Vista vs. Leopard reviews when it's released. What's interesting is when Apple'll release Leopard...
But, these are really intense sites. The general public will love Vista because of these "new" features. Already, I'm getting Windows fanboys talking about Flip 3D and its search function, and how it will be the best ever OS.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
G99 said:
But, these are really intense sites.
I suppose so, especially ArsTechnica, but CNet and the Guardian are much less geeky...
G99 said:
The general public will love Vista because of these "new" features. Already, I'm getting Windows fanboys talking about Flip 3D and its search function, and how it will be the best ever OS.
Bad luck... Lots of people don't like Mac's, for little reason... I normally cannot be arsed to argue with them, but if they said this stuff was new I'm sure I'd be able to point out that my Mac already can do these things!

I think one of the major downsides now of Windows is it's incompatability with other OS's, I mean it *still* doesn't support HFS and other file systems or UNIX shell or Web standards, without extra software, it's annoying...

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Anyway they can have a new one of those get a Mac ad's when vista comes out

PC: I got a new operating system last week
Mac: Me too! What new features did you get?
PC: Instant Search, Live Preview's, Gadgets
Mac: Gosh I've had those for years!
PC: Really? Damn, what did you get?
Mac: I got <Insert new Leopard features here>
PC: <Embarrased> Cool, lucky you, I guess I'll get them in a year or so...
Mac: I hope so.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Whatever...I'm sure I'll be forced to use windows at work for as long as I continue to want to get paid and eat.....

So, if windows is going for a more Mac like feel and look, that will only make my days in the office that much more almost, kind of, slightly enjoyable.......:eek:

jtt

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
Eraserhead said:
Anyway they can have a new one of those get a Mac ad's when vista comes out

PC: I got a new operating system last week
Mac: Me too! What new features did you get?
PC: Instant Search, Live Preview's, Gadgets
Mac: Gosh I've had those for years!
PC: Really? Damn, what did you get?
Mac: I got <Insert new Leopard features here>
PC: <Embarrased> Cool, lucky you, I guess I'll get them in a year or so...
Mac: I hope so.

Remmber the old Apple print ads in '96: Ooooh you have a trash can! You can now make aliases!
You can name a file with more than six characters!

They were pretty funny back in the day.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
jtt said:
Remmber the old Apple print ads in '96: Ooooh you have a trash can! You can now make aliases!
You can name a file with more than six characters!

They were pretty funny back in the day.

I'm too young, as a Mac fan, as I switched in 2005 (though I used a Mac until 2001, when I was enticed by the gaming goodness of the dark side) and in actual age (as I was only 8 in 1996).

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
good for microsoft nation. I makes me happy that they might actually be able to use a machine that makes a bit ( A BIT!) more sense. It will be nice that in the year 2007 they will have this new shiny OS that is approaching the quality that MAC users have been accoustomed to since 2004. very ahead of the game.

Pistol Pete

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2005
California
iGary said:
Yeah, I noticed teh eye candy is nice, but not useful - it's much nice to show all open windows in Expose versus thet Ferris Wheel thing in Vista.

main point looks cool, but not productive....agreed.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
nxent said:
this is true, but remember when osx first came out, it practically obsoleted the G3 machines of the time. i had a 500mhz g3 ibook which was blazing under os 9, but under os x it definitely suffered. i'd say it took a year or two for apple's entire line up to 'catch up' with the amount of computing power needed for os x. i'm assuming windows will go through a similar phase.

really?
My brother has a G3 500mhz ibook and it runs as well as a 1,2ghz G4 ibook in every day tasks. Course, lets not talk about the "water effect" in dashboard (which the G4 did not have either) or final cut, which does run.

Whiteapple

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2006
Haute Savoie,France
taytho said:
good for microsoft nation. I makes me happy that they might actually be able to use a machine that makes a bit ( A BIT!) more sense. It will be nice that in the year 2007 they will have this new shiny OS that is approaching the quality that MAC users have been accoustomed to since 2004. very ahead of the game.

2004?

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
dornoforpyros said:
OMFG! Microsoft is playing catch up! :rolleyes:

hee hee.. like always. they are a few years too late.. i am sure one of microsoft's strategies was to sit and wait to see OSX get a little bit more refined over the years before they jumped in with their next generation os

i seriously don't know how the dudes at microsoft sleep at night after making a piece of mimic software like that...

aussie_geek

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
So whats peoples thoughts on the look of OSX going forward? Clearly, Vista 'looks' prettier. Brushed metal is dead. The iTunes look looks stale.

Sure, its about the function, but for an OS people laud as sexy, it soon wont be the sexiest. Does this bother people? In a a sadistic way I'd be mad if Leopard doesnt look better than Aero Glass. Im certain the OS will be better, but aesthetics are big to me, purely on an ego thing. I often look to my friends Windows computers and show my Mac off. I cant do that no more as Aero Glass looks prettier than Aqua basically.

Shallow? Yes. But id be damned if MS can put something out that looks sexier than Apple. Anybody else feel the same way?

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
bluedevil14 said:
i hate it when people copy apple/OSX:mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek:
... stupid mircosoft

all you people who frown upon so called copying should be carefull to consider what apple has copied as well:

-right clicking mouse
-Intel chips
-glossy screens?!!??
-admin rights
-color themes

Widgets are already available on WinXp, it just doesn't come with it. Search is there as well, just not a spotlight search, more of a general filename search (which I hate on WINXP btw). Alt-tab already exists on XP, but I agree that the Vista doesn't do too good of a job at this since you have to flip through them anyway. OSX does a much better job right now.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
JMG said:
all you people who frown upon so called copying should be carefull to consider what apple has copied as well:

-right clicking mouse
-Intel chips
-glossy screens?!!??
-admin rights
-color themes

Widgets are already available on WinXp, it just doesn't come with it. Search is there as well, just not a spotlight search, more of a general filename search (which I hate on WINXP btw). Alt-tab already exists on XP, but I agree that the Vista doesn't do too good of a job at this since you have to flip through them anyway. OSX does a much better job right now.
Who did they copy from?

Of course a "general filename search" exists, it's always been around for ages...Spotlight is instant, and Vista is copying that!!
Intel Chips???
Glossy Screens??
That's hardware, that has nothing to do with OS!!
Right Click? You mean CTRL-CLICK on the the one-button mouse? (People with Mighty Mouse don't count).

Dominatus

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2003
Why don't people with a mighty mouse count? That's what they ship with now adays

Oh, and how about fast user switching?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.