OMG will the madness ever end?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Backtothemac, May 15, 2002.

1. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

2. macrumors G3

Couldn't have said it better myself...... :p

TFFT atleast we haven't got the Dell Dude on our screens in the UK !!! :p

Sounds dead cheesy! I mean....... the Dell Dude... come on....... :rolleyes:

3. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Dell T-shirts with the word "Dude" on them are now selling for $11.99. Some analysts worry that Dell's young spokesman may be getting overexposed.  

Capitalizing on the popularity of its young, bushy-browed spokesman the Dell Dude, the Round Rock, Texas-based company has begun selling "Dude" branded T-shirts, caps and backpacks.

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Dell Computer Corp., best known for the low-priced hardware that it sells through its Web site, is moving into Dudewear.

This is a prime example on how marketing can backfire. They're advertising for a certain market, and they're making themselves look less professional, in my opinion.

They will end up giving the shirts, caps and backpacks away, I can't see how they're going to get people to buy them. Who thought this up? We buy Dells here at our office, I can't wait to see if the IT guys get them, ha!

'Dude, Where's my computer! ' the sequal to 'Dude, Where's my car!'

4. macrumors 6502a

Geert

That's how I think about it too, GOOD:D
    That they stick with T-shirt selling instead of copycat-ing AAPL.

5. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey Arn, put up a "Dude, you're going to be frustrated" or "Dude, you're getting an unreliable soon to be obsolete Dell" t-shirt up on the site, and I'll be a "demi-god" tomorrow!

6. macrumors 68030

mischief

As I recall..........

" Dude" was a word Americans picked up on Safari that translated roughly as "Elephant scrotum scuzz" that Western Ranchers then used as a joke to refer to Rich (naive) white Easterners as while they were adventuring on "Dude Ranches".

7. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

LOL!!!! That is a good one. Oh, my God, I just agreed with mcrain.... :p

8. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

here's a funny note about this dell guy... he went to nyu before he made it big as dell man...

in fact, he lived on the same floor as my girlfriend.

her mom wanted her to ditch me and get with the rich dell man... ha.

i should've kicked him in the pants when i had the chance.... but alas, he's out of school now of course.

9. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Oh dear god, talk about hinesight right? That would have to have been just too much to bear. I saw him on Leno, and though he was a cross between Keanu and Balkey :p

OMG 492!!!! Almost there!!! Duke you still helping me with the tar?

10. macrumors 68030

mischief

I can just see HP doin this in a Year:

T-Shirts with this on the back:

"Hey, it seemed like a good idea at the time!!!"

Or M$:

"But..... If we do that other companies will be able to COMPETE with us!!!!!"

11. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

indeed. i never actually saw him, but then again i didn't even know who he was til he had left the school i think. from what i heard he made something like half a million for just the ads he did around christmas. don't quote me on this though...

if i'm right, you could see why my girlfriend's mom would want her to ditch me for him though. oh, that and the looks.... and the family curse i endure "down under"... hahaha ahhhh

12. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'll get you one tonight. I have a couple of ideas, lets talk off line.

13. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

YEA HAW!!! I will be home after 6 PM Central.

14. macrumors 68000

mcrain

You need a guy who keeps turning around and floating in mid air behind him is a new imac, also rotating.

15. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

That would be cool. But for my name I thought a windows logo that would fade into an aqua X or Mac happy face :)

16. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: As I recall..........

I do believe u are right mischief...he he he...

anyway...whatever...I could care less because I won't be buying a new Dell next year anyway... :eek:

17. macrumors 68000

mcrain

But it would have to repeat, so just when it changed into something good, it would change back into the windows logo.

18. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My thoughts ran more along this line.

Animated gifs don't need to repeat, so a non repetitive,you miss the show if you're not watching, and there's nothing really wrong with that, makes the tar all that much more special. A lot of people will 'get it' over a much longer period of time. Also I could freeze the first frame for 5 or 10 seconds to give it some delay....

The 'tar idea:

A pc sitting there, minding its own business, all of a sudden an LCD iMac jumps from the top of the frame and pounds it into bits. 'tar ends with the iMac in the frame with a suitable logo on the screen.

Hows that sound?

19. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

OMG !@!!!!!! yes, I love that!!!! That is perfect!!!!!

20. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Whoohoo, so we have a winner. I'll get right on it. It will end up being my most ambitious 'tar yet, excellent.

What do you want on the iMac Screen. Something personal might be good. Let me know.

D

21. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow, how are you planning to do this? you gonna take a 2d imac image or make a full 3D one? if it's the latter, you are one ambitious mofo....

and if it IS the latter, make sure you render out a big version too so it's worth more than the 50 x 50... ha good luck either way

22. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Don't ever assume I'm just a 3D animator. I started out in 2D and Image Ready is very cool. We're not talking a huge project either, its not going to be more than 20 frames or so. Wait till I get it done and then critique me, I'm not sure how well I'll pull it off either, but I'm optimistic it will look good regardless.:cool:

23. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i never thought you were just in 3D. but i figured that would be amazing if you could pull that ****e off... oh well, so much for me thinking highly of you... haha :p

24. thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I just feel honored to have Duke do the tar for me! I think "hi" would be great. If it was large enough...."dude, you just got nuked" would be cool. That would be soooo sweet. Again, thanks for the help on this..

25. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

back 2 da mac.

you should get one of a car going around and around in an oval around a track... ha

have him do a 3D golf one. come. make him really push the limits of that tiny little 50x50 box! ha