Omni brand RAM

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by srphoto, Nov 9, 2004.

1. srphoto macrumors member

Nov 9, 2004
    I know this question is prob asked very often, but i cant find it. Anyway i see on ebay RAM from this company Omni Technologies, and was wondering if anyone has used it and what do they think about me buying it. Its cheap, like $250 for a GB, but not too cheap as to be suspicious.
    I know the good companies are Crucial and Kingston, but they are expensive and this one seems OK.
    Oh and here is a link to the ebay page

Please help!!
  2. ct77 macrumors member

Jan 6, 2004
    This may not help, as I have not had direct experience with Omni Technologies RAM.

The only third party RAM provider I trust for Macs is . I'm using 1 GB of RAM from Ramjet in my G4 iMac right now -- have been for more than a year -- with zero problems.

FWIW, I tried another third party RAM provider before Ramjet and had a LOT of problems.
  3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    it actually looks pretty good Lifetime Warranty and a 30 Money back guarantee. The best deal is the one from outpost. I don't have the link but it shouldn't be too hard to find.
  4. supersize macrumors member

Nov 2, 2004
    I just bought a samsung 1GB ram chip on ebay for $149 with free shipping and it works great. I'm at work now so I don't have the sellers name but I know that he had several listed for sale. I think I am going to have to order another one in a couple of weeks and max out my Imac G5
  5. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

Dec 26, 2003
    Las vegas
    I found this site

I was thinking of buying ram from there

what do you guys think

does anyone have any experience with them.
  6. srphoto thread starter macrumors member

Nov 9, 2004
    Well I looked at that link and its double the price for 1 gig on the powerbook! Which is why i wanna buy from a 3rd party.
    I checked out and its way expensive!! Like 400 bucks!! I'd apreciate any links to trusted 3rd party or cheap (below $170) sites.
  7. jadren0 macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2003
    Omni RAM?

I saw that too on eBay. Anybody tried this company's RAM? It's pretty damn cheap, that much is sure...
  8. timsq macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2004
    New Orleans
    Simple Tech

Being ram-paranoid, I worry still that something is wrong, but last night I went to Sam's and picked up a pair of Simple 512 pc3200 sticks and they're in, no panic, and up and running. Big difference with lots of apps open. This is an the G5 dual2.5, for a total of 1.5GB. A friend told me to buy and make sure I could return it. That's key. Installing it all the way down is a bit rough too. I figure the same guys made the banks, just different companies assemble and test the chips, so if it works and until I can afford some of that CL2.5 Samsung gold, why bother with pricy? 2¢.
  9. ShermDog macrumors regular

Mar 15, 2004
    You can try OWC at I've had really good experience with their RAM (bor both a powerbook and ibook). They have great support, lifetime guarantees, and low prices.

Good luck.
  10. v.g.golfer macrumors newbie

Nov 22, 2003
    I have ordered from OMNI!!!

I have a DP 1.85 G5. It had only 512 MB of RAM and my machine ran slow as an old dog. I ordered two 512 MB Ram boards from OMNI and placed them in my machine next to the two APPLE COMPUTER OEM NANYA boards. It worked decently for awhile and then while playing UT 2004 my computer went down hard that utilities could not fix the errors on my 256 MB SATA drive. I had to wipe the drive and start over again, and then it happened again. Bear in mind my computer worked fine before I got the OMNI RAM. I called OMNI and they were very nice on the phone, but they didn't really want me to send the RAM back for refund without trying a few things first. They took my credit card number and mailed me TWO new tested boards, and told me to return the old RAM in the postage paid box that was included in the RAM package. I put the new RAM in my G5 and it worked great. Then I tried the old OMNI RAM and it worked great?!? Then I tried the NANYA RAM and it worked great. I suddenly realized all of the RAM worked fine. It's just that the 512 MB of APPLE NANYA RAM and the 1 Gig of OMNI RAM were incompatible side by side. So I decided to keep the extra 1 Gig of OMNI RAM, and I decided to keep the previously purchased OMNI RAM as well. Now my G5 has a whopping two gigs of RAM. The machine works flawlessly and is a speed demon. I did put the machine under heavy load by jacking the settings to my UT 2004 and playing for half an hour. So in conclusion, I think the OMNI RAM works great, but it may not be compatible with other types or brands of RAM other than maybe, other OMNI RAM. I sure do encourage you to do this one thing though. BACK UP your hard drive 100% before you put in the new RAM. I didn't and I took me two days to put everything back in my computer, and I didn't get quite evertything. The only bad thing about OMNI support was that the person I talked to kept on hinting that maybe I didn't put the RAM in in lock it in place. He also said that, yes, I could return the RAM but would face a 20% restocking fee if the RAM was okay. I can see right now that if I had sent the RAM back, I would have had to pay the 20% since there probably is nothing wrong with the RAM. Ordering was fast. My first order arrived in two days by FedEx. The second package came by priority US Mail and took three days. They're in Florida and I'm in California. Off the subject, but I also ordered RAM from Powerline Enterprises. I had to return it because when I put it in my G5, my G5 wouldn't even boot up...but then again it might have been that NANYA RAM incompatibility. Powerline took my RAM back after first trying to send me another order. It was pretty hassle free, but so far I haven't received my refund. I'll let you know if I do. Hope this helps all of you RAM buyers.
  11. maya macrumors 68040

Oct 7, 2004
    somewhere between here and there.
    You mean this one:
  12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    > I'd apreciate any links to trusted 3rd party or cheap (below $170) sites.

You want reliable, guaranteed and compatible RAM for under $170 for a Gb??

Er... there's a reason why the reputable companies are all charging around the same price: US$230 for Nanya and US$290 for Samsung - and it's not because they are colluding to keep the price up. The reason is that the wholesale price for new, high quality modules is at a certain price; say for example $200 in 100-lots, and the companies sell them for about $230 each at retail. The actual numbers may vary, but NOBODY is doubling the wholesale price on RAM. It's like a new car. You know the dealer has 5% or so they can play with, but if you see a new car at half price you know there's something wrong.

So how can some companies offer similar-spec RAM for $170, which is well below wholesale?
    The quality could be lower, from less reliable assemblers.
    The RAM could be stolen - hijacking a truckload of computer memory is about the most profitable and liquidatable thing a thief can do, pound for pound (we're talking about maybe $4000 per pound of merchandise, couple of $mill. on one or two pallets).
    It might be used or returned RAM, or remanufactured out of used parts.
    And most likely, the RAM could be second-quality. What do you think happens to all the chips that don't pass quality inspection and can't be sold to the reputable companies? It gets jobbed out as "B" stock, passes through various broker's hands, and ends up in cut-rate modules. Other times PC2100 chips are re-badged as PC2700. Some of them will work, part of the time at least.

How do you know you're getting good RAM, not seconds or stolen?
    You don't. There's no way to look at it and know, short of putting it through extensive testing. That's why you should look at the pricing, then *discard the cheapest price tier as being probably deficient in some area*, and make your decision between the middle-priced vendors based on the solidity of the company that is offering your the warranty. Check their length of time in business, call them to get a feel for whether they are into customer service or a fast sale, see if they are better business bureau members, check forums like this to see who is consistently recommended.

I have never dealt with Omni. I would prefer to see first whether they had a good reputation outside of EBay. The previous poster's recommendation is fine, other than the fact that the RAM hadn't ought to have conflicted with the Apple RAM in the first place.

>IDANNY what do you guys think

I deal with Data Memory Systems a lot, and they are both good people and honest businesspeople. No hesitation recommending them.

OWC (MacSales) also has a lot of fans and have been in business for a long time as well. No surprise that DMS and OWC's prices are nearly identical on the same items, cause that's the going price for good RAM.

RAMJet is higher, I think they have a glitch on their website because they have $295 on the front page (which would be in the ballpark) but $399 when you click the link. Anyone from RAMJet read this list? Fix the site, guys!

13. v.g.golfer macrumors newbie

Nov 22, 2003
    OMNI- Looks like I was lucky

ChrisFromCanada makes some good points about expensive RAM and inexpensive RAM, but in this particular case, it's beginning to look like this OMNI RAM at $169/Gig is good stuff (aside from it not working with NANYA RAM). I have two Gigs of RAM in now, and I'm trying my best to overwork it, and I haven't been able to. My machine is quick and stable. By the way, there was one other nice thing about dealing with OMNI that I didn't mention. Everytime I called them, I talked to a human, and right away. And everytime they said they would do something, they carried through, and right away.

I think that if you want to pay less, and you're willing to take a chance as ChrisfromCanada has so capably put it, and you only have minimal RAM in your machine, then go ahead and get the OMNI, put it in your machine, and then sell the RAM that you used to have installed or keep it as back-up. In my case, I'm keeping the NANYA as back-up, or maybe I'll put it in my Father-in-law's machine. I'm not going to eBay the NANYA RAM because it didn't work with the OMNI RAM, but since the OMNI RAM is working fine in my G5 machine, I don't know for sure that there isn't something wrong with the NANYA board.

I hope what I say won't get any prospective buyers burned, but people earlier in the thread were asking about OMNI RAM buyers' experiences, and I'm relating what happened to me in the transaction and my experiences afterwards. Best of luck whatever you decide to do in regards to RAM purchases!

PS-Powerline that I mentioned earlier in another post, credited a return to my Master Card today.
  14. Kalit macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2005
    Installing memory in PB

Can anyone give me advice as to how to install memory on my new PB as I don't want to damage my book trying something I've never done before. Some people telling me I shouldn't do it myself. Where is a good link for installation instructions on the new 1.5 GHz PB?
  15. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
    Try looking in Apples support section (Link) . It should be pretty easy for you to do rather than dropping $50 for an apple tech to do it.
  16. Jsmit macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2004
    Just make sure you use the right size screwdriver, I believe it is 00 but check Apples directions first (after double checking: the manual says 00 but the online directions say 0, I used 00 on my 12" PB).

BTW: The directions are also in your users manual that came with your PowerBook.