Omni Technologies... beware??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by epicwelshman, Jul 8, 2006.

1. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Hey,
    I'm getting a MacBook in early September, and a friend of mine reccomended Omni Technologies to buy the RAM from. Right now they have a 1 gig stick for $70 US. However, after reading these reviews (http://www.resellerratings.com/seller10095-p2-s1-d1.html#reviews) I don't know how confident I am buying from them. Anyone have any experience with these guys?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There have been a number of people on here who have had good luck with them. But I've heard a lot of unhappy people as well, as you've seen on ResellerRatings. If you want to play roulette, feel free to go ahead...they have good prices and you might get working RAM.

Personally, I wouldn't deal them. I'd pay a little bit more and go with a vendor I trust like OWC or DMS. But that's just me.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

4. TheMac19 macrumors regular

TheMac19

I just bought 2 gigs for my Intel Mini from Omni, and it's been great. I have run several tests with memtest in single user mode, and the ram passes all examinations with flying colors. I'd recommend it, plus it comes with a lifetime warranty, so if it does go bad, you can presumably swap it for a new working stick.

I find myself posting this many times, but I'd be cautious about investing too much faith in resellerratings.com - or in any other anonymous opt-in "surveying." It's a good resource to have, but statistically it is worthless, as one motivated friend or foe can make any companies results look just about as good or as bad as they like. When I see a company with a less than stellar rating, it's probably because the company itself isn't bothered enough to push their ratings up, not because they're that bad. That said - I do tend to be very cautious, but it's the vocal minority of unsatisfied customers that hit those sites. If you're skeptical about a company, a more legit place to start to investigate is the Bettter Business Bureau - which has been doing just that for years and years.

I bought with Omni on Wednesday, with standard shipping, and I had my RAM Friday morning. Now it's in, thoroughly tested and working perfectly. Go team!

Cheap RAM is also being discussed a few threads below, here.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Excellent point. FYI, here is Omni's BBB report.