Omniweb 4.1.1

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by arn, Oct 1, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

2. macrumors 68000

beatle888

I feel like a browser whore...now instead of
    chimera I'm using OmniWeb. Chimera just started
    quitting on me. I'm using the free version
    of OmniWeb...not sure if it quits after a
    couple of days or what. But it's fast and I
    love the spell checker...in a browser, can
    you imagine?

3. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Warning: Disk Image not compatible with 10.2.1

Don't mount the disk image in 10.2.1, at least not without expecting to restart. It causes a coreservices crash, which essentially takes the computer 9 of 10 steps of the way to a kernal panic. Any folder with an Apple designed custom icon, will have its icon dissapear. Ah, heck, here's a list of symptoms:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?threadid=12203

4. macrumors member

The image appears to be perfectly compatible with 10.2.1. I downloaded and installed it with no problems. Try downloading it again.

5. macrumors 68000

beatle888

yea it worked fine for me too.
    what are the limitations of the
    free version, does anybody know?

6. macrumors member

The free version has no limitations. Every so often, though, a "watermark" appears over the contents of your OW windows that says "Unregistered". This goes away if you click an URL or something. Pretty painless, and you can make it go away permanently by buying a license.

7. macrumors 68000

beatle888

thanks piano. i think this will be my new
    browser. i was using chimera but with no
    flash support it's sort of a bummer. so now
    i use OMNIWEB :)

8. macrumors member

9. macrumors 68000

Well, enjoy omniweb's lack of DHTML and CSS support. You'll find it causes many more problems, except you won't know it. Try macmall.com as a test. Oh, but that site doesn't work right in chimera either. The pull down menus under the main bar should A. pull down and B. pull down under their headers (not in the upper left of the screen)

Most of the "other" browsers have something cool about them.. .tabs for example. But I still contend IE is still the only one that shows sites 99% AS DESIGNED. Mine included. I use DW and GoLive. Sites designed there look the same and operate correctly in IE. Not chimera, not usually Netscape (but second best), not mozilla, definitely not OmniWeb (although it's the best looking browser!), etc.

I used OmniWeb for awhile until I realized I was missing half the sites content because it didn't fully support pull down menus.

10. macrumors 6502a

Foocha

OmniWeb & CSS

OmniWeb does a fair job of CSS, but it does not seem to support margins, or Level 2 selectors. That's a shame, because otherwise it looks pretty good.

11. macrumors member

There are lots of problems with OmniWeb, but I have still bought a Licence, and don't regret it one bit.
    Tech support and bug reports and replied to within the day usually, and it is far and away the best looking browser, and just does everything the way a browser should (UI wise I mean)

I keep Chimera, IE, and Omniweb in my dock, and switch between them. Chimera is best for sites with large pages (like these forums), IE for compatibility, and Omniweb for just plain pleasure of use.

I can't wait for OW5.. OmniGroup are writing their own lightweight objects for rendering the page, which should improve performance no-end, along with promised full support for CSS and Javascript, it will be a killer browser.

The big reason I like OW? try using the 'RESIZE' widget on any other browser, only OW knows how big the page is and resizes the window by the correct amount, all the others just go full screen (STUUUUPID!)

12. macrumors 6502a

Foocha

I agree - I like OmniWeb too, and if they really do come through with the promise of full CSS support, they will have the best browser on the market.

It's going to be a tough decision for Apple to make when selecting the successor to IE Macintosh Edition - go with Mozilla and follow-through on the OS X open source philosophy, or buy OmniWeb with all its elegance - only downside is that they'll have to maintain the overhead of developing a rendering engine and keeping it up-to-date.

I suspect they'll go with Mozilla and give it a beatiful Apple skin - but it'll be a tough decision that's keeping Steve Jobs up at night right now!

13. macrumors 68040

mac15

it needs CSS support (full support) and the god damn ability to remember wheer you left the window and not reset it at startup :(

but its top notch

14. macrumors member

The hard thing about CSS and JS support is, when everyone says they want support for "standards", what they really mean is "make it work like IE". And that is a moving target, so all the alternative browsers are playing a never-ending game of catch-up.

Folks from Omni Development have said the big push in version 5 development is for complete CSS and JS support, among other things. I hope they deliver on this!

15. macrumors 6502a

Foocha

From a user's perspective, I agree, you want it to work like IE. From a developers perspective, you want it to follow W3C standards.

16. macrumors G4

skunk

Actually, IE seems to resize fine for me. OW does look great, but you do miss an awful lot of content. I've still bought a licence, but only one for three Macs, as I reckon I'm only getting that much usability!:rolleyes:

17. macrumors newbie

Location? Just offed my last stalker... Sheesh
    Omniweb is great, Chimera however is the future

All the rumbling points to apple using Chimera as it's new browser of choice come jan. However i still love omniweb and will continue to endorse it. I just wish it supported ALL web standards properly. version 5 will rock!:D

18. macrumors member

Well, well. Just tried it myself again, does seem to work quite well.. I reckon that was fixed in recent update, because b4 it always just used to go 'fullscreen' and back.

19. macrumors P6

wdlove

I was very impressed by Omniweb, got a tour of it at MacWorld NY! :)

20. macrumors newbie

i like tabbed browsing, can't wait for opera 6 to come out

21. macrumors newbie

I agree, I love OmniWeb, but it doesn't support many websites. That's the only reson I swiched to IE! If OW 5 delivers full suport for CSS and JS I will definatly swich back to OW. Mabe even pay for the licence! (mabe...depending on my ecinomic status when it comes out)

22. macrumors P6

wdlove

Hoepfully with updates it will support more web sites.