OmniWeb 4.5 Public Beta 1 out

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by GeeYouEye, Jun 5, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

The new version of OW is out. Has WebCore, and runs (IMO) much better than Safari in most cases. Been using it since sp1, and boy is it great. Only a couple minor gripes I have, but it hasn't crashed on me in two weeks.

2. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Nice to finally see a decent CSS implementation.

We'll see if it's too little, too late...

3. Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

I've been following the 4.5 builds everyday sicne they started putting them out. I am a Camino user, but I find it interesting that ow can build a better webcore based browser than Apple. I still prefer Camino as it is much faster and has tabs (ow doesn't yet), but I think if ow added soem tabs I would have to seriously consider switching.

Good to see this old king of the heap coming back so strongly.

4. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Just curious as to how you're comparing Apple's and OG's implementation of WebCore...how do you qualify OW as "better"?

I'm not really up on what WebCore's all about, so I'd appreciate some insight...

5. macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I believe he's saying the browser's better. Webcore is (roughly) the same on both, although Omniweb has a better network engine (for broadband, anyway. I've heard it doesn't like 56ks much). The only changes omnigroup have made to webcore are one or two minor bug fixes, and some patches to make it work with Omniweb.

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Personally I can't stand Camino, or any of the Gecko browsers. That and I think tabs are completely useless in most situations, so I don't use em. But, if you're wondering, tabs are supposed to be in either the 4.5 final or in 5.0, whenever that is.

7. Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

But if they're based on the same rendering engine et al, it's the surrounding implementation that sets the browsers apart, yes? That's why I'm curious about what AL sees that makes OW "better" than Safari.

I actually use tabs quite a bit (can't stand browsing w/out them at this point), so not having them is a deal breaker for me.

8. macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Same here. I mostly still use Camino, but I like the zoomed text editor, spell checking that stays on, and ad blocking of Omniweb. It also gets better transfer rates on downloads. History search and automatic checking for updated bookmarks are cool, but I don't use them much.

9. macrumors 65816

I think since Safari, all browsers (possibly including IE) have sort of been shunted sharply to the side.
    Applers like to use Apples.