Omniweb 5 Screenshots and beta release date

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by MacBytes, Dec 31, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502

The workspaces feature looks really good and useful, but their method of tabbed browsing is bloated. It takes up way too much space, Safari has done tabbed browsing right.

3. macrumors 68040

mac15

wow! I've been following this for a while now and the features are mind blowing. I do think the tabs are something that we will have to get used to but who knows. I may fall in love with them. I've been waiting eagerly for the release of this browser as its by far the most customizable , awesome looking browser to date. Feb 2nd can't come fast enough

4. macrumors 6502

Don't forget this browser is also the fastest and most reliable.

5. macrumors 68040

mac15

got a few movies and stuff

I found a bit of a movie online, the host it was on sucked. So I threw it on mine http://homepage.mac.com/mac_15/omniwebtabs.mp4 . this is why omni are probably the best developers for OS X. All of there apps are pure gold , worth every penny. From the looks of it so far, this takes the cake for MacWorld San Frans best of.

http://homepage.mac.com/omniweb5/PhotoAlbum1.html some more snaps and addition of an RSS reader make it worth the $29 bucks. Since most good ones are expensive and all hell anyways.

Got a few more movies

http://homepage.mac.com/mac_15/shortcuts.mov
    http://homepage.mac.com/mac_15/workspaces.mov

Safari on roids!

6. macrumors 6502

Mr.Hey

This makes Safari seem like....blah. I'm am so getting this when it comes out. I wonder what Apple will do to compete. I've seen those movies already and the slow motion tricks are amazing! its a freaken browser!

7. macrumors regular

why would apple compete?

8. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Because apple has a browser of their own...

And they don't own Omniweb... so yeah they would want their browser to be better.

It looks nice enough.

Their invention of tabs is sure different then a lot of other tabs w/other browsers.

9. macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I don't think Apple needs to compete with OmniWeb. OmniWeb is the browser for insane power users. Safari is for everybody from grandma to power users. They have radically different target audienecs and I really don't think Apple has to compete with OmniWeb as much as it does with the likes of Mozilla.

10. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yes but Apple won't feel any compelling reason to compete with OW5. One is a free product the other is $29.95. Apple competes where they are weak but they still show deferrence to 3rd parties where they can.

Safari will most likely undergo it's scheduled improvements but I doubt Apple will add too much to it other than much needed stability.

11. macrumors 6502

matthew24

I don't think Apple should compete. Safari is a good, fast and reliable browser, that's all we need.

This is a great chance for Apple to show her respect for her developers! ( They ain't M$! )

12. macrumors 68040

mac15

Apple wouldn't compete with one its biggest developers, oh wait I forgot about Adobe didn't I ;) haha

the competition would be good, it can only get better for the end user. More features rolling out and faster

13. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Apple might feel inclined to lift a few new features I feel.

Apple does from time to time gobble 3ed party projects.