On a related PS3 note -

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shacklebolt, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Shacklebolt macrumors 6502a

Shacklebolt

Okay, PS3 is 599 bucks.

We all know (or okay, if you don't know, go to wikipedia and look) what the PS3 comes with, and what's inside it.

That being said, is it actually worth the 600 dollars?

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

We'll see when it's released.

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If you want a BR player and a next gen console, then yes.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

See this is the thing, as a BluRay players it's cheap in comparison.

BUT... if it plays BluRay in the same poor manner PS2 handled DVD with problems exacerbated by a dire interface, then it may not even be a 'good' blu ray player...

6. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

it depends on what you want it for. if you just want a game console, than no, I don't think it is worth that price; but if you want a blu-ray player and a game console, then it may just be worth it. But I guess it also depends on how much money you have too.

of course I have so little money right now I probably won't even be able to afford a wii until early next year (majoring in music is ****ing expensive) :cool:

7. HecubusPro macrumors 6502a

HecubusPro

There is no killer app to make me even want to consider buying a PS3 at launch at the price they're asking for it and since game consoles live or die by their game libraries, that's what will ultimately affect my decision to buy a system.

Additionally, $600 is way too much. It's just too much. And I'm a guy who has bought every major console release at launch since the NES. I'm not going to support Sony by giving them my cash for a system that isn't coming out of the gate with any games good enough to validate that kind of purchase for the console alone (games, peripherals, etc. and you're looking at $700 to $800!)

The Blu-ray player doesn't insterest me, and I never hold much weight in game consoles as movie players anyway. Considering Blu-ray players cost $700 and up, I don't see how a "great" game machine and a "great" blu-ray player can meaningfully co-exist.

So after all that, I'm not going to buy a PS3 until it gets some gaming content that make me want to buy one while going down in price to at most $400. In essence, I may be waiting a few years or more.

8. bmb012 macrumors 6502

And if you don't think that it'll be a cheaply made Blu-ray player...

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

which was my point. After all the ps2 was and is crap as a dvd player.

10. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If your in the market for a Blue-Ray player yes..if you like the games yes..if not no. It never going to be a good deal for all people. Some people like MS games more, in which case X360 is a better deal, or if you don't have a HDTV, some of the blue-ray power is not used

11. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

its totally subjective. From a hardware standpoint, what you are getting is a pretty decent value, but if you dont like the games then obviously a nice piece of hardware isnt worth squat to you

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Live the life and get some gigs. :p

13. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Not right now..but it will be. Sony has never impressed me with starting line ups. at least for ps2 and psp

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed. the hardware here is worth it and the games will be good...this you can count on. RfOM/Heavenly sword is going to be one of those AAA games or a big flop.

Bless

15. Oofie macrumors regular

I agree with most posts here. It really depends on what you are looking for. I say wait for a bit til there are great games, then decide. If you're looking for a good blu-ray player, might as well buy a stand alone.