Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The other "party" usually finishes in about 2 minutes. I continue even after the "call" ends. :D

Showtime3

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
My regular conversations last around 5-10 minutes usually.
My FaceTime conversations usually only last ~2 minutes.

i was asking how many times a week you facetime and how long your facetime conversations are

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
From my phone, I plan on using it about once a week for about 10 minutes (I work away once a week and it's useful to say "hello" to my 12yo daughter before she goes to school as I'm out of the house well before she gets up).
I've got a MiFi from 3 to give me wireless access so I can Facetime from anywhere

From my Mac, pretty much every day as it's pretty cool to use Facetime to talk to my Wife / Daughter from the other end of the house when I'm working in the study :)
Generally these are < 1 minute conversations

davwin

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2008
I use FT 2-4 times per week on average, 20 mins+ average call length. I have family that live in different regions and FT is how we catch up most of the time.

To be fair, we used to use Skype but, some of the older family members always had a hard time with Skype (despite it's simplicity). FT has virtually NO setup and has proved to be easier for all of them.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Depends on who I'm talking with.

For work, the conversations last normally just a few minutes. Maybe 2-10 on average. Depends upon what we're talking about. Its a huge plus as I can show the other person what I'm talking about. Not having to describe what I'm seeing, just showing them, really helps speed things up tremendously.

Here's an example of without FaceTime:
"no, not that network cable..the blue one. What do you mean there are 37 blue cables? Ok just unplug the blue net cable thats connected to the 24 port switch. What? There are 24 blue cables in the switch?"

With FaceTime:
"Ok, see that blue cable on the left? Yeah, that one. Unplug it. Ok, done"

With family, it ranges from who I'm talking with. If its my wife, its normally just a short call since we car pool to work and see each other all the time anyway. But with my mother, its longer since I only see her maybe once a year. Say about 30 minutes.

Gen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
never, its stupid having to connect to wifi before connecting - a big hassle

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Here's an example of without FaceTime:
"no, not that network cable..the blue one. What do you mean there are 37 blue cables? Ok just unplug the blue net cable thats connected to the 24 port switch. What? There are 24 blue cables in the switch?"

With FaceTime:
"Ok, see that blue cable on the left? Yeah, that one. Unplug it. Ok, done"

Can we set up some kind of script on this website that detects the phrase "Facetime is pointless" and then have the site just auto-reply with your comment? That would be super useful.

never, its stupid having to connect to wifi before connecting - a big hassle

The real question is, if Wifi is available where you are, why aren't you already connected to it?

Time Less

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2010
Planet Earth
~1min. It's so awkward seeing my own ugly mug.

But seriously though it is a bit weird seeing my face in the lil box I usually turn the camera around. I think my friend feels the same cuz his yes are never facing me. Never used iChat on my mbp either.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I can tell you that between traveling, living across the globe and not being able to see kids and family. etc. FaceTime is great!
Is it the first of its kind? Of course not! But it's a neat, easy implementation that I think will get better over time.
Hopefully, Apple can persuade carriers to allow it over 3g. Meanwhile, WiFi is pretty ubiquitous and I find it easy to find places to make FaceTime happen- even when not at home where I have it. I have had fun with it.
My conversations have been really all over the map in terms of time spent on the calls. I'd guesstimate that my average call time is in the 20 minute range.

Roofy.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2009
Use it about 2-3 times a week. Calls are usually 10-20 minutes. 2 times they were about an hour and 15 minutes long.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

When it first came out I thought I would never use it. However, I use it all the time now. In fact, I find myself peeved if I can't use it for whatever reason.

I normally use it once a day for about 10 minutes a go! I think video calling will become more and more and more mainstream as time goes by.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I never use Facetime. If I could call Windows PCs and other mobile phones with video chat capabilities, I know I would use it more. 98% of my friends have Androids/W7/BB/Palm phones and Windows computers :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.