On Backward Compatibility

Discussion in 'Games' started by SpankyPenzaanz, Sep 9, 2006.

1. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

First I just don't believe in it. I don't want to buy a console that is hampered by running older previous generation of games. If I buy a new console I want new games and not live in the past. IF I want to play older games I would not have bothered to get the new console. Also claiming backwards compatibility I believe is a poor excuse for not having better games ready when launching said system. That goes for EVERYBODY. I remeber when nintendo would intro their systems and you have to get their new games and nobody complained then.

2. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

Yeah, but isn't it nice to have the option? You'd rather not have backwards compatability than have it?

3. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but console lifespans are getting shorter and shorter. Nintendo was still releasing new NES games in 1993, some 10 years after the console's Japanese launch. Today, consoles are lasting about half that time. So any time a company gives consumers a chance to get extra value from previous purchases, it's appreciated.

I for one can't wait to get a Wii so I can play a whole bunch of games I never got the chance to.

4. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I agree. If the new console is a new derivative of the old one making backwards compatibility easy then it's all good, but if the new console is radically new (ie, Xbox 360 vs Xbox) then I'd prefer they just draw a line in the sand and state that the new console will not play old games.

I bought the Xbox 360 thinking I would play original Xbox games as well as 360 Games but it just didn't happen due to performance issues. I just ended up firing up the original Xbox console to play them. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

5. SpankyPenzaanz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

If I wanted to play those old games then i keep said system.

[Edit] i buy a new system for new games other wise I would not have bothered to get rid of my existing system

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Why? As long as it doesn't hurt your new system, why would it upset you? I'm very eager for the Wii, because people can play tons of old system, even if they were not alive for them, or never bought one and if they can't find the old games.

Plus it gives new system tons of games until new games for the new system are built with tons of different types of games. An example is the DS , GBA, and Game Boy Color, the DS had all GBA games even thought there were few good DS games at launch..the game goes for GBA getting GBC games when GBA were lacking, and GBC having GB games when it was new. Its very nice for system owners, and it doesn't force you to use it, but it is there for use IF YOU LIKE

7. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I agree that they shouldn't compromise the quality of the new system by keeping backwards compatibility. But if it's not that hard, then I welcome it. You can only keep just so many consoles hooked up without running out of space and having an unmanageable amount of wires. If I can buy the new one and get rid of (or at least store away) the old one, all for the better.

Backwards compatibility is still a fairly new thing too. The PS2 was the first. The Xbox 360 is only partially so. The Wii and the PS3 will be next. It doesn't seem to me that Sony or Nintendo have made many compromises to accomplish this. Since I don't currently own a GameCube (used to use a roommate's one), it'll be very cool for me to play 'Cube games on the Wii.

Also, the GBA slot on the DS is one of the best ideas. I never owned a GBA, so there were quite a few games that I enjoyed once I got a DS. Even if I had owned a GBA, for portable systems it's especially inconvenient to carry around a lot of stuff.

8. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Lol. Backwards Compatability isnt new. Think Gameboy Color playing Gameboy games and Windows 98 playing 95 games (if that counts)

But I digress, I agree, Backwards compatability is a joke. My computer is obviously worth more money now cuz I have a NES emulator on it :rolleyes: The Wii's selling point is "We have a remote for a controller!!!!" and "We can play all your favorite NES games and GameBoy games......for 250 dollars." Its rediculous, I only know of 4 games on the Wii. people love it so much because its "revolutionary":rolleyes: :rolleyes: Go ahead digg me down (Oh im sorry, the amount of fanboys here lead me to believe this was digg :D )

9. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

How does having backwards compatability hamper things, exactly?

10. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Hahahaha. This thread is amusing. Backwards compatability is an added feature not a detracting feature. Some of us do not want 10 consoles hooked up to our main HDTV in our living rooms.....and plenty of us definitely want to play older games. Backwards compatibility isn't going to keep EA, or Konami, or 'insert game software company name here' from making new games for a system. "Oh well, since the Gamecube could run Madden 2003 on it and now everyone can run Madden 2003 on the Wii there's no need to release Madden 2007"........ridiculous.
    I am glad I could sell my Xbox when I got a 360 and it will be great to be able to unhook my GameCube when I get a Wii. Plus Nintendo is going to have a great Wii launch-lineup.
    Is this thread for raising the number of posts towards an avatar or to start arguments?
    To the OP: I sure hope that Leopard doesn't support your Ti PowerBook.....you should have to just buy a new Apple computer and not "live in the past"...and hopefully all the software you're running on that G4 will not work with Leopard and a new Mac.....you should have to upgrade that too :)

11. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

You clearly don't know the Wii's upcoming games, there are more then 5 games at launch thats I really want! But why did you bring it to mocking the Wii? You know thats only going to lead to bad places, of flame wars..

trolling trolling trolling

12. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

If the designers dont compromise on the new hardware and have decent compatibility (I understand the X360 isnt that good at it) then im all for backward compatibility. What makes the wii nice is that it can play very old games, I had a sega megadrive (genesis to the people in the US) and have a ton of games for it, but the console broke so I cant play echo or quackshot... legally that is. :eek: To me backward compatibility can help me maintain my investment in games long after the console hardware died.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Wow at this thread. Just wow.

BC is a massively important feature for me. It means I can do away with old systems and only have one thing connected to my TV.

Plus, and if you're not from Europe then you won't understand - but our systems have been limited in the past. we had no HD output for the Xbox, no s-video output for our Gamecubes etc. And new consoles aim to upgrade that. I can't wait to play my GC games in super crisp graphics from the Wii's component cables.

Oh, and you also fail to realise that a lot of older games are actually better than most new games. Why do you think emulators are alive? Why game shops have Retro sections? Rubbish. There's a huge market for it and everyone loves old games and making them available to play on new systems is perfect.

One reason I'm not prepared to fork over £270 to Microsoft? I can't play my old games on it. And the Composite output of the Xbox looks like poo.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

There was about 26 launch titles, but games keep getting announced. Splinter Cell being the most recent. Someone said the number was up to 30, which would make it the biggest system launch ever (highest being 27 titles, IIRC).

Oh and emulators are worthless. Free to download, free to play. Where's the value?

If you have any qualms about the 'revolutionary' side to the Wii, then go play a DS. A game about lawyers, about being a doctor, controlling a platformer by drawing a line and using inertia to kill enemies, brain training etc. All really basic but new thinkings behind games that have propelled the DS and it's games to be absurdly huge sellers.

15. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

I have an abbreviation and two words for this thread. N64 analog stick.

16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Umm. Okay, so?

This is nothing new. This flamefest started back in the pre-release 360 discussions with folks lambasting the "backwards compatability list" through software emulation. Why are people still beating this dead horse?

17. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

how does having the ability to play older games in any way detract from a console? :confused:

this thread is pointless. :rolleyes:

18. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Living in a dorm, I applaud backwards compatibility. Takes less space to use one console instead of two. Even though I could just put the Wii in my pocket..

19. Lollypop macrumors 6502a

Lollypop

The ability can detract from a console if the designers made some bad design choices to ensure backward compatibility. I cant think of a example from the gaming word, but from the PC side... the BIOS comes to mind.... :eek:

20. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Ive never trolled here before, why would I start now lol. I just thought this thread was about the wii because of all the other 37 threads. Especially because back. compatability is a key part of the Wii. I never meant to flame anyone here, and I tell my friend all the time that Wii will win the next gen console war. No doubt it will win, its just that it comes out in 2 months and its games have been less publicised (sp?) then its remote!

But the average person has NO idea about its games besides Metroid and Zelda and Mario. :rolleyes:

BTW: Im not a troll, Im an ogre ;)

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Where are you from VirtualBall?

In the UK numerous issues of the lads mag Nuts have talked about the Wii. thats them dealt with. The yuppie, disposable income market have been educated by Live about Wii and the smart guys have read about it (and the PS3 problems) in The Guardian. Adverts are up all over the UK shops for Wii games including brochures left right and centre detailing a selection of Wii games. even in HMV (a music shop).

It's pretty well known here. heck even my 'couldn't care less about gaming' dad was talking about "that sword fighting game on that new white machine, like Kill Bill" had him taking more interest than anything else in the last 20 years of games.
    Not saying they're advertising it wrong, but here the system (as well as DS adverts and Brain Training) are everywhere.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Point taken, the USA doesn't know all that much about the Wii, I met people this summer who call it the Revolution still, perhaps I was being a little over protective of my Wii...but we all need to let them grow up sometime;)

23. Virtualball macrumors 6502

In the USA, there has been no news or talks of the Wii since May (E3) As far as anyone at my high school is concerned, there really is only the PS3 and the X360. Sorry but in America, thats the harsh reality (at least in Ohio haha)

And yes, you were a little protective ;)

(BTW: House is a great show lol)

24. SpankyPenzaanz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

Your in high school - last I remeber you don't matter;)

25. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

thats because most 18 year old boys searching for a game console (or anything for that matter) think they have to get the one that will make the coolest, and owning an xbox is way cooler than any nintendo product. :rolleyes: