Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
So im thinking of joining an on campus club at my college. Anyone here have experience with such clubs? Some range from religious bible study clubs to more ethnic centered *we need to stick together cuz' we're like that* kind of clubs. I disregarded frats already... To expensive, not my thing anyway. Considering the fact that a lot of these clubs meet like, twice a month... I wonder how one really "hangs out" with those new people one meets in them. :eek:

aoeoae

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2006
CubaTBird said:
So im thinking of joining an on campus club at my college. Anyone here have experience with such clubs? Some range from religious bible study clubs to more ethnic centered *we need to stick together cuz' we're like that* kind of clubs. I disregarded frats already... To expensive, not my thing anyway. Considering the fact that a lot of these clubs meet like, twice a month... I wonder how one really "hangs out" with those new people one meets in them. :eek:
um, clubs vary widely by topic and school. i've been in engineering project clubs (building a helicopter) and common interest clubs (russian language). there are also athletic clubs. some clubs are very passionate about what they do, especially politically-oriented ones and some stagnate for months. they're all very different.

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Think of something you're interested in and there's most likely a club based on it. For example, I have interests in investing and stock trading so I've joined a finance club.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
CubaTBird said:

dunno how big your school is, but my alma mater offered recreation classes like pool, bowling, fencing, etc. If you're just looking to hang with people who share your interests, you might go that route. And you'd be learning something fun, too.

just a thought

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
We have a "social club". It's basically for anyone who wants meet people. Kinda like a single club but without the romance aspect.

They pretty much just all get together and go bowling, eat out, go to a theme park, or something like that, and meet new friends. It's pretty cool. Maybe your school has something like it?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm on the executive committee of a food coop at my uni where we sell organic foods, some Fair Trade foods, lots of dried fruits, organic grains, organic chocolates, nuts of all sorts, organic 100% pure juices, tofu, etc.

I'm also a member of a group that helps the uni put on all special events, which is a lot. I mean, any competitions, bands who come in to the bar and play, semi-big name bands who come and charge very little for tickets, etc. People need to write reviews, take photographs ( :) ), do surveys at events, mystery shopping, help set up tables, help put up posters, etc.
The food coop thing doesn't help me meet a lot of people, but the ones I meet are all interesting and different to me. I learn things. Some clubs help you meet lots of people with a similar interest.

Personally, I think groups like an Outdoors club would be fantastic. They're very mixed gender as well. Things like "Anime Club" are not. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.