On-demand dial-up internet sharing in Jaguar?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by alex_ant, Dec 22, 2002.

1. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

So I've got an iMac running Jaguar connected to a phone line, and its Ethernet port is plugged into a switch to which several other computers are connected. What I want to do is to be able to use the iMac's dial-up internet connection from any other computer on the network AND be able to dial into and disconnect from my ISP from any computer on my network. What would be the best way to go about this? (For free?) What would be ANY way to go about this, in fact? Jaguar's built-in Internet sharing seems like it would work, but I still can't figure out how to dial into / out of my ISP remotely.

2. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Are you sure you'll be able to do this? I haven't heard of remote dialing.. I mean, you can't use another phone in the house to dial somewhere if it's not connected to a line, right? The only way I see it would be to use Timbuktu of Apple Remote Desktop to control the iMac connected to the phone line and dial in form there.

Of course, I don't know much about dial-up, do I? If anyone knows of a way to do this, I'd liek to know. That would be pretty amazing.

irmongoose

3. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I was thinking that if nothing else, I could ssh into the iMac that has the dialup line and start/stop PPP from the command line. But I don't know what the commands would be to do this. Unfortunately the old Unix motto "If it's not way more complex than it has to be, it's not Unix" seems to apply here.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Won't Jag's internet sharing feature automatically dial up, if you have it set to Connect Automatically if a PPP application is started? Won't disconnect, obviously, but still... I can't imagine what kind of setup you have to require this, which probably means neither can any shareware/freeware developer, which means you're stuck with creative work-arounds...

:)
    pnw

5. alex_ant thread starter macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I know I could do it if I had a router with a built-in modem (like an AirPort hub), or if I had this one very expensive internet sharing software package from Vicomsoft whose name I forget...

Anyone know how to dial up and connect to the internet from the command line in OS X? I think I already know how to disconnect (killall pppd)...