On Eve of Chinese Premier's Visit, White House Warns Taiwan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Dec 8, 2003.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

WOW

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

So much for spreading freedom.

I smell money.

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Is this the same communist China that ran over protestors? amazing what a mission to space and lunar dreams can do for you.

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

???????

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

China seems to be looking for a war to whittle down their male population. Taiwan and Hong Kong have proven to be excellent models for maintaining Chinese control over nations that want nothing to do with them. Watch them closely.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is this the same George Bush that shattered years of precedent by intimating that he would support a Taiwanese bid for independence about 3 years ago?

So did 9-11 change his thinking about China too? Is that the standard excuse?

7. yamabushi macrumors 65816

yamabushi

Big business wants to make friendly with China so they can do business there. They therefore put pressure on US politicians to do whatever makes china happy. Pretty sad. What happened to our support of freedom and democracy?

This infatuation with doing business in China over any other country is ridiculous anyways. What about the billions of people in the rest of Asia? The risks of doing business in China are also far greater than most people realize. Many countries in SE Asia, South America, or Eastern Europe provide much better environments for manufacturing. China might be the best choice for some but certainly not on the scale of popular interest shown recently.

8. huntsman macrumors member

I gather all of the above posters avoid Chinese-made products like the plague :D

After all, we wouldn't want to support the economy that builds the military that threatens to invade a liberal democracy.

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I try to buy things not made in third world or oppressive nations. Honestly, I try.

I guess that's about to include items made in the USA ;)