on logout, OS X went into Darwin login screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by FatTony, Feb 28, 2003.

1. FatTony macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    800 MHz G3
    256 MB RAM
    OS X 10.2.4

So my wife is trying to create a new folder in Mail. Mail unexpectedly quits and does so every time she tries to start it again. I tell her to log out and then back in. She logs out and the computer goes into a Darwin console login instead of the OS X login screen. She's freaked, so I take over. I can log in with my username and password, but I can't reboot and when I exit it returns to the Darwin console login. So I hold down the power button for 5 seconds to force shutdown and then restart. The computer boots normally...right into the OS X login screen. Everything is fine. Even the new folder she created in Mail is there. On logout again everything works like normal. It just happened once.

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
  2. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
  3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Could be just a random glitch... I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it happens again. Not a solution, but if it does happen again, you could log in as root and use the command "shutdown now -r" to reboot instead of holding down the power button. If you don't have the root account enabled, you can enable it by opening up NetInfo Manager and going to Security -> Enable Root User (or something like that).
  4. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    Doesn't "shutdown now" reboot to single user?
    if it does, they might just chase their tail.

"reboot" or "sudo reboot", I know, just does a plain-jane reboot into the GUI.

but your "-r" option might change it to that. I'll break out the man page later.