"On Macintosh, portrait mode requires a high-end graphics such as ATI Radeon x800"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by andyjamesnelson, Oct 9, 2006.

1. andyjamesnelson macrumors 6502

Hey,

I was looking at a Lacie display - the Lacie 320 and it says this

On Macintosh, portrait mode requires a high-end graphic board such as ATI Radeon x800

Does this mean tha the flip to portrait mode is controlled by the card and needs no other software? Will this actually work on a new Mac?

Andy.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Hmm, just the other night I used a TV as an external display on my PB and rotated it 180° for kicks. I certainly don't have a x800. 9600 Mobility.

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I rather think this was the first card that let's you do portrait mode on a mac. Unfortunately, other cards don't (those in the Mac Pro) don't support it.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, I have a 20" Dell connected to my 17" 1st-gen Intellimac, and it allows a rotated display (Radeon X1600).

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I was under the impression that any even moderately new ATI card/chip supports this, but Nvidia's drivers generally don't.

I know my old 9800 pro does portrait, and I'm pretty sure even lower end cards than that will. I currently have ATI cards in everything I use, so I can't speak for Nvidia cards, but at least at one point them not being able to do portrait was a complaint.

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

My MB can display my 2407wfp in portrait mode just fine, just FYI.