on new pb 15, will 64vram and 128vram differs a lot on gaming?

Discussion in 'Games' started by msharp, Feb 10, 2005.

1. msharp macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm buying a 15" powerbook in a couple of days. But, should I take the 129 vram option for gaming?

I don't do 3d works, but I'm playing UT2004, C&C General, StarCraft, Neverwinter Night etc, but don't likely to run Doom III on it cause I've already got a PowerMac G5 at home.

And, will 64mb and 128vram differs a lot by feeling?

So, any advice is appreciated.
  2. James L macrumors 6502a

Apr 14, 2004
    If you go to Barefeats they tested this last year in April when the 64MB of VRAM versus 128MB option came out.

If I recall correctly, they found that in todays games, at low or medium resolution, the extra VRAM made very little difference. At higher resolution it made a bigger difference, but only by a few frames per second or so.

This, however, doesn't mean it will not make a big difference in tomorrow's games!

I would definitely go for the upgrade myself to future proof your machine.

Here is the barefeats link I was thinking of:

3. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I would say go for the upgrade. You never know when you might use it. But i would also say get atleast a gig of ram if you plan on doing some serious gaming.
  4. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Apr 9, 2003
    Get the 128MB option as you can drive two 30inchers with it, that is if your pockebook were so inclined. Seriously though if you ever plan on using your Powerbook in extended desktop mode using a high resolution secondary monitor the 128MB will make a difference.

Also Texture Maps keep on requiring more and more VRAM. In fact with Doom III 256MB still is not enough to give it real breathing room at higher resolutions. Future proof yourself as who know what games will require a year from now.
  5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Get it. It isn't upgradeable. RAM is.

And if you connect up two displays, then you have enough for Exposé, etc. With 64MB you end up with only 32MB per display... not enough for Tiger, or anything, really.