Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Currently a tropical depression (24) in the Caribbean (between Honduras, Jamaica and Cuba), it is currently forecast to become a hurricane (the 11th of the Atlantic season), and potentially a major one (the 6th of the Atlantic season). If so, it will be Wilma, and any storms following it will have to be named after the letters of the Greek alphabet.

We've already beat the record of the most named Atlantic storms (19 in 1995) and are close to beating the most Atlantic tropical storms ever recorded in one year (21 in 1933).

And hurricane season isn't over until November 30th.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
hmm...will there be a hurricane alpha? and how will that be written. will it be "alpha" or will it be the greek character?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
That's quite silly to use greek letters - will the retire a letter if it ever becomes a major storm? And what happens after they've used up all the letters?

Silly questions, I know, but it doesn't sound like a very well thought out process.

And none of this has to do with global warming *cough* - but lets not discuss that here

D :p

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Mr. Anderson said:
And none of this has to do with global warming *cough* - but lets not discuss that here
Yeah, but the naming convention was cooked up by the same guys that faked the moon land... er, never mind. ;)

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mr. Anderson said:
That's quite silly to use greek letters - will the retire a letter if it ever becomes a major storm? And what happens after they've used up all the letters?

Actually, that's a good question...maybe they'll switch to other language alphabets...hurricanes Aleph and Beth, anyone?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Whyren said:
Interesting point at the latest update:

We have Wilma. Current forecasts take it into the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, so it could potentially make landfall in the US.

Wilma still looks on target for NOLA - just what they need now....

D

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Look out, S. Florida!

Wilma ties hurricane record, and its projected path could take it toward South Florida pending a sharp, northeast turn early Friday.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Crap I'm rignt in the middle of the cone of uncertainty. Maybe that's a good thing this early. They've never been right yet :eek: Keep away Wilma!!!

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Wilma close to rivalling Katrina and Rita in intensity

Wilma is now a strong Category 4 hurricane with winds of 150 mph and minimum pressure of 901mb (getting darn close to Katrina-902/Rita-897 levels there), making it the 6th major hurricane of the season. NHC says there's a decent chance it could reach Cat 5 by the end of the day.

Looks like it may be Florida's turn.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Whyren said:
Wilma is now a strong Category 4 hurricane with winds of 150 mph and minimum pressure of 901mb (getting darn close to Katrina-902/Rita-897 levels there), making it the 6th major hurricane of the season. NHC says there's a decent chance it could reach Cat 5 by the end of the day.

Looks like it may be Florida's turn.

I just read cat 5. 884 mB.

Florida is kinda screwed.

The NHC has no idea what they are going to do if they have to retire Alpha...

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
MongoTheGeek said:
I just read cat 5. 884 mB.

Florida is kinda screwed.

The NHC has no idea what they are going to do if they have to retire Alpha...

This is the third :)eek: ) Cat. 5 in one season (new record I believe).

Plus, by preliminary measurements Hurricane Wilma is now the most intense Atlantic hurricane recorded (by pressure) beating the previous record set by Gilbert in 1988 (w/ 888mb pressure), though NHC says wait for better measurements.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Ok, this isn't right - now we had this at 80 mph winds last night and this morning its 175 mph!!!?!?! with the lowest record pressure ever for an Atlantic storm?

I hope it stays over water and loses some power before hitting land, otherwise this isn't going to be good.

D

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
Ok, this isn't right - now we had this at 80 mph winds last night and this morning its 175 mph!!!?!?! with the lowest record pressure ever for an Atlantic storm?

I hope it stays over water and loses some power before hitting land, otherwise this isn't going to be good.

D
Whoa! I hadn't even noticed the upgrade on
Wilma 'til I just read your post. That's scary.

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mr. Anderson said:

D

On a positive note, though, the winds are fairly concentrated around the eye and don't go out very far, sort of like Charley last year.

Then again, Charley is counted as the 2nd most expensive hurricane to hit the US (until this year's figures come in).

Nanda Devi

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
East Lansing, Michigan
Hey, guess where I'm supposed to be going this weekend?

Miami Beach!!

My flight takes off Saturday afternoon, just about the time Wilma is supposed to be hitting FLA. It's an international PR conference that my company is paying to send me to, and according to the organization's Web site, it's still on at this point... They say they won't know whether they're going to call it off until Thursday night or even as late as Friday morning.

I'm really hoping they cancel it. The hotel I'm supposed to stay at is RIGHT on the ocean... doesn't seem too safe to me!

ND

Whyren

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Latest update has some positive news for you Floridians:

"Wilma is now expected to spend enough time in or near the Yucatan to result in a significantly weaker storm in the Gulf when it approaches Florida."

It looks like it will be either the Yucatan or Florida that will get hit hard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.