On the fly downsampling of music for iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by btgordon, Oct 9, 2006.

1. btgordon macrumors member

Hey Guys-

I use a PC (soon to be a MBP) and I keep all my music as apple lossless files, which take up a lot of space on my HD. Is there anyway to load them into itunes and have them automaticall downsampled to a smaller .aac file for the iPod so they don't take up as much space? If it is only able to be done on a mac, that isn't a big deal since I will have one in my hands in a week.

Thanks a lot

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

As far as I'm aware, no. There might be a script for it although I doubt it... look up Doug's Applescripts for iTunes.

I'm surprised no ingenious person has come out with a plugin which makes a regular iPod masquerade as a Shuffle, as that allows for downsampling on the fly.

3. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Having used a 1Gb Shuffle for the past year, I finally decided knowing what I was listening to would occasionally be useful, so just recently received a refurb'd Nano 2Gb and was a little disappointed to see the 128AAC option wasn't available as it is for the Shuffle (although I understand the 1Gb Nano *may* have the option too?)

2Gb is plenty for most of the week's use, but it'd be extra useful to have the same 128AAC option.

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope, it doesn't. Pity, because it's a really handy feature.

6. btgordon thread starter macrumors member

7. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

On the fly down sampling (custom settings of course) would be such a great iTunes + iPod feature. I just don't understand why it's not already in iTunes.

Question: When iTunes down samples to the shuffle is the music copied/converted on computer, then to the iPod or is it transferred directly to the iPod?