On the iMac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bobdude161, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Ya know what really peeves me? There is no option for a monitor-less iMac. As much of an oxymoron as it may sound, it is true.

You have the low end Mac Mini. Then you have the high end mac pro. Where's the middle? Yes I know the iMac is in the middle, but without a monitor it would really help me out. It could shave a couple hundred dollars off if the monitor wasn't built-in. I could get the Mac Mini, but I'm concerned about the 64 MB graphics and Solo Core Duo processor. I want the iMac specs with the x1600 and C2D, but I already have enough monitors. Maybe an iMac tower :p . Sounds stupid but my wallet is liking the idea.

Anyways, random follow-up question. How long do refurbished Macs stay on the Apple store refurbished list?

2. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Yes, I'm sure there will be a place in the market for "headless iMac", but I doubt Apple will make it. They want to sell as many Mac Pros as they can ;)

BTW, minis now have dual-core CPUs across the line. It doesnt have any graphics at all, that 64MBs is from main system RAM :mad:

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The Mini has a decent CPU (when is that Core 2 Duo coming?) and no dedicated graphics card. A Mac Pro has the latest CPU(s) and a dedicated graphics card. If they added a computer line to fill the space in between, there wouldn't be much difference between the Mac Mini and this machine, nor would there be a big difference between it and the Mac Pro. I don't think a middle-of-the-road computer is really necessary, but I guess a system that can hold a larger HD would be nice, since I don't think a Mac Mini with a dedicated GPU is ever coming.

But if I'm buying a Mac Mini, I'm obviously not making money from this machine, so the 200 GB HDDs that these Mac Minis could potentially use are absolutely fine. If you need a GPU and larger HDDs, then a Mac Pro is for you.

And I can see dedicated graphics being perfect for almost everyone in the future, even for many of the semi-intense games. This might be in June 2007 though, not now. Oh well.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I hope this isn't another one of those threads... :( Although I do agree I would like a Mac minitower, I don't know if we should really debate this one again.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This has been brought a million times before. A lot of us want one, something in the middle at a decent price. But I don't see it happening yet. Apple doesn't seem interested. Maybe in sometimes in the future.

6. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

yeah this does seem to be a very common topic...

Honestly I don't see a place for it. I think you just want the mac mini to have dedicated graphics, which could happen somewhere down the line. We don't need a whole new computer just for that :)

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Its been talked about many times, Apple does have a missing product, apple is competing with its self instead of competing with other computer makers and you should be concerned about Mini's 64mb integrated graphics. Waiting for a refurb iMac is the best choice in my view. Apple is using the GPU to seperate lines since they all have powerful cpu's. No Gpu Mini,mid grade GPU's iMac, "real video card ProMac" Its sad but its Apples way of running off potential customers in my view. Trying to Force customers into things they dont want reminds me of the new car salesman and little else.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

So do I.

If you are interested search for xMac and you will find years of this stuff. The debate goes on forever because both sides are right. Yes, there is room in the line for a headless Mac. But as the other side points out, what people mean by xMac differs so that no actual machine ever stops the debate. For example, the Cube (too expensive), the single processor version of the DP PowerMacs (crippled!), the mini (underpowered). The feeling is that what people really want is a cheap box that can be upgraded forever with commodity parts but which Apple will support completely.

Personally I think Apple will release a home server at some point. It will come with a 750GB drive standard (I don't want to pay for that, I just want to play WoW!), it will have one slot (WTF!) and it will not have a power supply hefty enough to run the latest megagraphics card. And the debate will go on.

There, I just saved you the trouble of reading through 10,000 posts.

9. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I love having an all-in-one computer! It clears up a lot of my desk space and I don't have cords running everywhere! :D

10. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

ah, sorry, I didn't know this was debated before. I will just have to stick with the iMac :eek: Just means I gotta wait an extra couple of months to get one. Patience is key.

Anyways no one really answered the random follow up question:

How long do refurbished Macs stay on the Apple store refurbished list?

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

My iMac has an external mic, 3 fw hdds (in a 4 port case), 5.1 speakers, TV-out, and a bunch of other cables for things like my cameras, iPods, etc. An xMac wouldn't fix that. Which is why a replaceable monitor and grfx card wouldn't be a biggie for me.

But I get your point. ;)

Refurbs stay as long as there's stock.