on the internet at work.......

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sean7512, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

So, I take my laptop to my work (a golf course) almost every day. Inbetween customers at the register, I work on a tee time program that I am writing; we are implementing it next season. Anyways, We have a wireless router, but the wireless is turned off, so I could never get online. Today, I realized that I have a ethernet wire in my computer bag and so I figured to plug it into the router and see what happens. Well, I'm online now, and it is sooo hot outside that we are abosolutely dead here, so I'm on MacRumors. What do you think, is this bad what I'm doing?

PS, this internet is FAST, esp since we only use it to send in daily reports. :p

PSS the assistant manager on duty is bery bad with computers, and doesn't even notice the internet. He has never used the internet in his life he claims, so he has no idea what I'm doing.

2. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

dude, that's pretty funny

maybe you could become the I.T. guy!

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's only bad if it takes away from your work duties. even then, ehh.. i'm not one to point fingers about this. ;)

4. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hmm....I wonder if anyone down in the administration building notices my extra IP address here....

5. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

as long as you're getting your job done, i say surf all you like. and what better place to hang out than MR?

6. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
  7. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

Clydefrog

8. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Well i would not mind on the conditions that works get done on time as good as it would have been.

9. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Get back to work Spackler. Judge Smails won't appreciate you surfing the web instead of putting a fine chammis to his golf shoes.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

My friend works at staples and goes plays computer games on the computers they demo a lot. He doesn't get fired. So what are you worried about?

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Depends on what the policy is. Last place I worked, they could definitely tell where you'd been on the internet, and any non-work surfing could get you in trouble.

You say the asst. manager doesn't notice. But if he did find out, or if the manager or owner find out, would they mind? That's what matters.

12. Sean7512 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since I'm only a cashier, most of the days, that is my only responsibility. I also just have to get the new Tee Time program finished in workable form come Dec 1, which it is very near already, so I'm alright I guess.

13. brikeh macrumors 6502a

brikeh

Im on the internet all day...but then again thats my job. ;)

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

I'm on the internet a lot of the day, but that's just because we're not too busy. If I didn't get my work completed, then it would be a different story, but since I do, I guess it's all good.

15. Queso macrumors G4

As long as it's MacRumors you don't need to worry. If push comes to shove, tell the manager that you've been asking for programming tips :)

16. CANEHDN macrumors 6502a

CANEHDN

I say go for it. It's the best way to pass the time. Hell, I'm doing it right now.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm using teh internets at work right now too.

I have to use teh internets though....they're having me code in JSP with a M$ Access database backend....and I know HTML and I know (a little) Java, but never dealt with JSP, so I'm Googling....like EVERYTHING because I don't know a thing about JSP. Or Access.

I'd give anything to do this in PHP and MySQL. I know both of those very well. I'd be done with it already. But, they insist on Java :(

18. Queso macrumors G4

Do they know NOTHING? :eek:

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

lol....it'll eventually get moved to something like Oracle. This is just a really small, internal project so I guess they figure Access is fine for early development. I guess that's the beauty of ODBC...not much will have to be changed to switch DBs.