Once Again, I'm a Mess!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Apr 17, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Like the rest of my body, my ears hate me.

I was born legally deaf with ears that had to be operated on to save my hearing. I had thousands of dollars worth of surgery, and later had tubes put in. I can hear fine today, but it seems that my ears are causing me more trouble.

I always assumed that everyone had holes in their eardrums. I always assumed that everyone else had air go in and out of their ears as they breathed heavily. I thought everyone had water in their ears after swimming that look hours to leak back out.

Apparently I was wrong. I've been living this way for 11 years (I'm 15 now). In that whole time I've had one minor ear infection, no pain, no irritation, no problems whatsoever. The friends who found this condition out want me to report it to my parents and doctors. Fixing this 'problem' probably will involve thousands of dollars of surgery (again) that I don't feel I need. Should I tell someone?

Thanks!

2. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

The sooner you tell someone the sooner you can be 'fixed'.

Your parents will be sympathetic, maybe even help pay, in the mean time, go to a doctor, your hearing is too important.

In your whole life you only have 2 ears, 2 eyes, one nose, one mouth, might as well take care of them. ;)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree with Peyton, tell someone. However, if you're not troubled by it, then you don't necessarily have to get the surgery. :)

4. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Eh, I know exactly how you feel.
    I'm 95% deaf here, and have to wear hearing aids.

Definitely you should go to a doctor ASAP.

5. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, guys. I'll talk to the doctor when I can, I don't want to end up completely deaf.

Lilstewart, I'm really sorry about your hearing issues. Can you hear well with an aid? I'm just a little hard of hearing sometimes, and even that's frustrating.

Anyone else here hearing-impaired?

6. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Your 15... Your parents should pay to fix your ears. That's what a good parent should do.

:eek:

7. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

I was going to say... What parent has their kid pay for his surgery!

Not me personally. But my mom, dad, brother, uncles, and aunts are all pretty deaf.
    At family gatherings it gets LOUD! Everybody screaming so they can here each other. I usally have a sore throat when I leave. :cool:

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good choice. It is best to tell your doctor and parents about your situation (if it really is one- maybe everything is okay). Sorry to hear about your problem
    mac_head101 (and yours to lilstewart). :eek:

Best wishes on a speedy recovery if you do require/pursue surgery. :)

9. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Hearing and sight are the two most important things you can have. I've had friends tell me that it feels like they don't exist. One has never seen anything, he's been blind since birth. He constantly tells me how he's not sure that death would feel much different; he feels no attachment to the world. It's really an awful thing.