Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
can somebody please give me the correct instructions to wipe off the iOS on a phone (essentially factory restore the device) and then install a FRESH iOS and then do a restore from backup that has the iOS that you don't want (in order to preserve all the data)

Apple have said this is possible. I'm trying to stop a really really annoying phone from not receiving emails properly

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
if you want a "cleaner" install than a straight up backup restore.. then why not backup to icloud restore the phone then restore from iCloud. iCloud backups have less junk than iTunes ones and you should have less (or none) issues from previous backups than straight from iTunes.

tripleh3lix

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
if you want a "cleaner" install than a straight up backup restore.. then why not backup to icloud restore the phone then restore from iCloud. iCloud backups have less junk than iTunes ones and you should have less (or none) issues from previous backups than straight from iTunes.
Easier said then done with only 5gbs

Reactions: Galacticos

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
I don't understand this:

You want to downgraded? Or upgrade?

There are persistent issues with the mail app. I want to try to eliminate any bugs in the operating system, but am not prepared to start the phone from new.

I want to replace the foundations, but leave the tenants in the building

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
There are persistent issues with the mail app. I want to try to eliminate any bugs in the operating system, but am not prepared to start the phone from new.

I want to replace the foundations, but leave the tenants in the building

Don't waist your time doing a clean install, I tried several time expecting to fix the bugs with the mail app, but that did not solve the issues, phone continues to freeze with the mail app. At this moment I'm testing a third developer email app. iOS 10 is a disaster.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Don't waist your time doing a clean install, I tried several time expecting to fix the bugs with the mail app, but that did not solve the issues, phone continues to freeze with the mail app. At this moment I'm testing a third developer email app. iOS 10 is a disaster.
No, it's not. Running 5 phones with iOS 10 and no issues. There are bugs, but it's not a disaster.

Reactions: simonsi

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
No, it's not. Running 5 phones with iOS 10 and no issues. There are bugs, but it's not a disaster.

I think I was extreme stating that iOs 10 was a disaster, but those bugs that you mention are making my phone unresponsive and unusable.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
I think I was extreme stating that iOs 10 was a disaster, but those bugs that you mention are making my phone unresponsive and unusable.
Understand and feel sorry for you.

What mail provider do you use? I only ask because maybe you and the OP have the same provider.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016

I too have wasted much time attempting to get mail app working over a few iOS x's. I seem to get multiple answers when I ask apple the question in the first post and am just seeking clarification what I have tried is all there is to try

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I too have wasted much time attempting to get mail app working over a few iOS x's. I seem to get multiple answers when I ask apple the question in the first post and am just seeking clarification what I have tried is all there is to try

I can't waste more time trying to fix my phone to function as before, Im giving up on this and wait for iOS 10.2 and hope they will fix it.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
Well, maybe the issue is your first question. I don't think there is a way to 'wipe off the current iOS'.

You can only perform an update or a full install of the OS. Is there some reason the full install isn't what you want to do? It's pretty easy with iTunes. Just plug in and click Restore.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2016
Well, maybe the issue is your first question. I don't think there is a way to 'wipe off the current iOS'.

You can only perform an update or a full install of the OS. Is there some reason the full install isn't what you want to do? It's pretty easy with iTunes. Just plug in and click Restore.

a full install is ok as long as then performing a restore from backup leaves the newly installed iOS intact

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.