One AAPL share worth $448?

Discussion in 'Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion' started by bigpoppamac31, Feb 20, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

If I understand shares even remotely correctly then one share of AAPL would cost me $448 (current number)?? Who has that kind of money to buy one or two of those let alone possibly hundreds?? I know I don't. Could Apple do anything to make the share cheaper for someone like the average joe to buy?

2. macrumors 68030

It was $700 pretty recently. People who bought years ago when it was much cheaper are banking now. That's the way it works :)

3. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

What is the difference buy one for $448 or 10 for $44.8 ? Of course you could buy just 5, but why ?

Yes, sometimes companies split shares to get smaller values each share but it don't make it cheaper.

A $44.8 share would not reach $700 in near future (only if the iWatch will be the next killer ;) )

4. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sure it generally doesn't decrease the cost of buying a fixed portion of Apple, but since most brokerage houses prefer to deal with blocks of 100 shares of stock it makes buying a block cheaper and also lowers the typical fees, etc.. of doing so.

It does make the stock more volatile/fluid though.

B

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah. Wish I could have bought them years ago but I was too young at the time. Would be nice to have that money now. I could really use it.

6. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

You're likely still to young to buy to many on your own.

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm a month shy of 30 years old.

8. macrumors 68000

thewitt

You should have bought when it was $2 a share...

9. macrumors regular

I highly doubt they care if you can buy it or not. There are people and institutions that can buy the stock. Look at Google just a tad bit below $800 right now.

10. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Like I said

11. macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Wish I had gotten in at $2. I jumped in when it was $29. ;)

12. macrumors 601

eawmp1

You don't really understand stocks, do you?

13. thread starter macrumors 65816

Wish I could have. I'd probably have lots of money right now.

----------

Of course they don't care. As long as they keep getting richer and we keep getting poorer that's all that matters to them or any other company.

----------

And that means what??

----------

Clearly not but thanks for helping me understand. I totally get it now. (sarcasm intended).

14. macrumors 6502

No, just like you, they only care about getting richer, it doesn't make any sense (business or otherwise) to care about others getting poorer :rolleyes:.

15. macrumors 601

eawmp1

Ah yes, the mature wit of sarcasm. That will help your financial situation.

16. thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't care about getting rich. But being a bit more financially comfortable would be nice. .... Are you saying we shouldn't care about those who are poor?? How nice of you. That kind of thinking is part of why the USA is in such bad shape right now.

----------

Clearly you still don't know how to explain things. If I don't know anything about stocks then how about you explain it a bit.

17. macrumors regular

It sounds like you want to buy AAPL stock just because it's Apple.

18. TPadden, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

macrumors 6502

Rich is a relative term and you ARE caring about getting richer, otherwise why post about buying stock?

Your question is even more obtuse: I never said anything other than it is in no one' s interest, business or otherwise, to care about making others POORER. :cool:

19. macrumors Core

alphaod

I remember back before all the iPhone business, I recall it was about $25 a share and I knew that was time to buy in ;)

20. thread starter macrumors 65816

Clearly I've started a pointless argument and clearly no one here knows how stocks work cause no one has answered that for me. Guess I'll have to slum it through Google.

21. macrumors 6502

The second reply clearly answered your question. :)

Another option: while you are googling, look for a Mutual Fund that is heavily invested in AAPL.

22. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This. If you don't already know how stocks work and already have a diversified portfolio, shares of stock in individual companies probably aren't for you.

Rule #1 of investing in stock: Invest only what you can afford to lose. (a.k.a. Investing is risk.)

e.g. those who bought shares at $700/share may be looking at $350/share soon and the value of their holdings is thus halved. Sure maybe it'll end up > $700 at some time later, but maybe it won't.

You can minimize that risk by buying funds that buy multiple stocks.

B

23. thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I don't have a portfolio. I've never bought stocks, bonds, mutual funds etc. of any kind.

Also didn't Apple split their stock before and now it's climbed back up again??

24. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

So what make you think you should start with AAPL now? If you're fretting about the price of a single share, you clearly can't afford the risk of losing it all in a stock market "correction".

AAPL's splits took place on 02/28/2005, 06/21/2000, 06/16/1987, but so what? Today's AAPL isn't what it was in 2005, 2000 or 1987.

Why would they split? They have tons of cash so no need to issue more shares, ...

B

25. TPadden, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

macrumors 6502

I wouldn't go to a financial site to get a smart phone recommendation :).

That said, a quick google of Mutual/ ETF shows probably the highest percentage of AAPL is Powershares "QQQQ that tracks the NASDAQ 100 index and holds a 21% stake in the tech stock". QQQQ last quote $67.14.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2012/03/05/5-vanguard-etfs-juiced-up-with-apples-stock/

Ticker now QQQ and AAPL holdings 13.4% .......

http://www.invescopowershares.com/products/holdings.aspx?ticker=qqq