Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scrutinizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Hi there. I've got a 2009 24" Core 2 duo iMac. Yesterday it started doing the one beep on start up. I realize that Apple's explanation for this is that the computer detects no ram installed. This obviously isn't the case. I have 4 gigs of ram, which Memtest says is good to go. I've reseated the ram twice and swapped each card's slot, to no avail.

The curious thing to me is that this started just after I installed a new Linux partition. This install led to some problems, so I ended up having to wipe the system (i.e. reinstalled OSX on a formatted unpartitioned drive). The beeping literally started right after the Linux install (before the reformat), but I can't for the life of me figure out how the two could be related.

Anyone have any bright ideas about why this thing's beeping away at me? Can I stop it? Is my logic board dying? What to do?

Edit: I forgot to mention that after the beep, the machine seems to work fine. It takes maybe a teeny bit longer to boot, but it boots and runs. I'm posting from it now.

Last edited:

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
a simple test if you can is to replace with a good known. That is, get some Ram from another iMac that does not beep. If when installed in your system beeps. it is no the RAM but an issue with your system. Then take steps from there.

Good luck!

Scrutinizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
Thanks for the response. I've ordered a 2gb stick to test it (they're only like $13 these days, crazy...). If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm open to them. I'd prefer not to have to replace this computer now, nor do I want to spent hundreds on repair.

Thanks!

Scrutinizer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
So I took out the original RAM and installed a brand new 2gb stick. It didn't seem to change anything. I still get the one beep on start and then a delayed start up. After that though, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

I've no idea what the problem could be, and I seem to have covered most of the obvious bases (formatting hard drive + reinstalling OSX, swapping RAM). If anyone has any bright ideas about what else I could do that might stop the beeping do let me know.

notmetoday

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2015
New Zealand
I eventually figured out the problem. I figured I'd follow up in case anyone with similar issues googles their way here. If you installed Linux and are now experiencing the beep, reflash your efi manually. OSX won't let you do it the normal way, so you'll have to use the bless command as detailed here:

http://pubmem.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/flash-efi-firmware-update-manually-on-a-macbook-51/
I know this is like 5 years old, but just had the same issue with one of those white MacBook's.
Started happening after trying to install Linux. Going to give your solution a try, makes sense, so should be golden now.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.