one bluetooth mouse 2 computers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mikeyredk, Jul 23, 2004.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I have a mx900 but i have 2 computers. whenever my sister borrows the mouse i have to reset both computers and the mouse to get the mouse to work with my computer. anyway around it? its annoying

2. noel4r macrumors 6502a

cant you just turn off bluetooth from the computer that's not being used?

3. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

nope... the machine is in sleep mode

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

See, the problem is that most people want to be able to have a BT mouse/computer pair next to another BT mouse/computer pair without the mice or the computers getting confused. As a result, BT forces one-to-one devices like mice to be uniquely paired to one and only one system. When you move it to another system, it loses the pairing with the first one.

So, AFAIK, you'll need to keep resetting it. However, as you probably know, the easiest way to do so is to keep the BT status in the menu bar (System Preferences...->Bluetooth->Settings->"Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar").

Once that's set up, then, for each time you need to reset the mouse, in the menu bar, click on the BT icon and go to "Set Up Bluetooth Device...". It should only take a few seconds to set up your mouse - and locking it to one computer should stop it from talking to the other.

At least, in theory this should work... I have BT, but don't have a BT mouse (use it with cell phone and keyboard only).

5. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

right now the mouse isn't being seen by the computer at all. batteries are in and i reset the mouse and restarted the machine nothing.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

But did you do as I mentioned above and set it up again? You'll need to do it either with the BT menu icon (described above) or the BT prefs pane (Devices tab, "Pair New Device").

Maybe you already did this, and something else isn't working - but you shouldn't have to reboot the computer!

7. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

right now i got it working with base-station that came with the machine. but i would like to work with the internal one.

edit

nope it didn't work

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Sorry, then, I'm out of my league. I have no idea how the mouse would handle two BT signals, or even how the Mac handles its own plus the mouse's base signal.

Not to be utterly stupid, but can the base be shut off, then can the mouse be paired with the Mac? I'm assuming the BT circuitry within the mouse could pair directly with the Mac, but maybe not. Sorry, I just don't know.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

This is what you have, right?

Not that it helps... just wanted to confirm.

BTW, the site I found had this to say:

which suggests that maybe you shouldn't plug in the USB port, even if you power the base.

10. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

What did you have to do? It might be helpful to post, since others might have this problem, and they could look here for the solution!

12. mikeyredk thread starter macrumors 65816

i grabbed my sisters computer and opened the system prefs and delete the keychain pass than, shut down the computer

13. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

well, i'd just tell my sister to buy her own.