One Christian preacher's message to married couples...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vniow, Sep 19, 2006.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Have hotter sex.

Caught this linked from Wired. Even though he's still a literalist evangelical preacher which means he's not advocating or allowing unmarried sex or homosexuality its certainly a start.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13834042/

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah, I caught this the other day. LATimes I think. Interesting, coming from such a conservative religious type.

But hey, if they're finally coming around to enviromentalism, animal rights, and hot sex, who knows what else they might accomplish...

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Will they ask the animals first?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I've been saving this just for you. :p

5. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    So we can have anal sex then right? Or are they thinking "hotter" meaning "any other position than missionary?"

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Did you read the article? :confused:

If you did, your questions would be answered...

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

If I'm not mistaken, this really just reinforces what the Bible has always told Christians: get married, have sex and be fruitful. It's still all based upon Conservative Christian Values. The only difference is now they can talk about how to make the experience better without blushing.

Call me a cynic, but I don't think this is a start to anything. The Bible will always condemn homosexual sex, and a significant cross-section of Christians will always use this to hide behind their bigotry.

8. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

orgasms, King Solomon, and the Pointer Sisters...hehehe you gotta love this guy :D

9. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

As a fairly staunch Catholic, I think these people are absolutely ridiculous in what they're saying. I think they're going a little overboard and are picking out what's okay or not pretty arbitrarily.

There are only two positions (opinions, not sexual...) talked about in the article: "I grew up being taught sex was bad," and, "Sex is wonderful, let's have anal and oral sex!"

I'm not going to give my views on sex, because that's not what the article's about, but I will give my opinion about the people in the article. Like I said, it all seems pretty arbitrary. Why is anal and oral sex allowed? It's never mentioned in the Bible, but doesn't seem to go along with the main thread of thought in the Bible that sex is mainly for procreation. Also, they continue to state that homosexual sex is not okay. Doesn't allowing anal and oral sex remove most of the differences between straight and homosexual sex?

Why is sex during menstruation not allowed? It's mentioned in the Old Testament as unclean, but so where tons of other things. It doesn't make sense that Christians would maintain this one element of being kosher.

This preacher is a bunch of hooey. He completely misunderstands Christianity's view of sex and invents a way to do all the sexual things he always wanted to do, but feel good about not breaking any explicit rules against such found in the Bible.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So you are saying they are pretty much the same as every other religious person, you just disagree w/what they've chosen to cherry pick?

Lethal

11. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I was at work when I read this thread. certain places I can go, certain places I cannot...

edit: This guy just became my #1 Christian friend. :b

12. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

What the Bible says about sex in a nutshell:

1. Don't do it with anyone not your spouse.

What the bible implies about sex in a nutshell:

1. As long as you're married and Aunt Flo isn't in town, anything goes upon which the two of you can agree. If using cantaloupes and a trapeze harness gets the job done, then go for it.

It's been my experience that the (American) Protestant view of sex is that it has to be in the missionary position, in bed, under the covers, with the lights off, can't last longer then five minutes, and no one is allowed to enjoy it. Then again, I know some pretty freaky Southern Baptist girls.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I thought that was the Puritan view? :confused:

14. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I sort of said that, although you imply that all religions cherry pick. I'm not going to get into a debate about that, but what I found ridiculous about this preacher is he has a very weak basis for his beliefs.

To contrast this preacher with my faith, Catholicism: You might claim that the Catholic Church cherry picks what to believe (although I'd disagree), but at least they have reasons for all that they teach. If you look at the Catechism of the Catholic Church, they back up all of their teachings with tradition, scripture, logic, and the writings of the Church Fathers. If nothing else, the Catholic Church has their assertion that they are the Church founded by Christ and are guided by God. You need not believe this to be true, but the Church will offer reasons as to why it's possible.

What this guy did is completely different. He opened the Bible, saw what he wanted, and preached it. There's no basis in the Bible or anywhere in the Christian faith for what he preaches.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

And I think this guy is an overreaction to such thoughts. He doesn't seem to realize that there's a middle ground between the two, enjoying sex, but refraining from such things that lead to extra-vaginal ejaculation.

EDIT: This is a very simplified view of the Christian viewpoint of sex, so keep than in mind if/when you respond to this post.

EDIT 2: Where do all these Christians (Protestants) get the idea that sex during menstruation is wrong? It says it in the Old Testament, but it also says a million other things about menstruation that Protestants don't follow.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Should I refrain from dreaming? :)

17. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Like I said, it was a very simplistic view of the whole thing. I wasn't giving all the particulars. But I meant, of course, conscious extra-vaginal ejaculation. And I'm sure there are a million different exceptions you could come up with to my one little line. It's not an all-encompassing statement.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, at least he's advocating sex with your spouse rather than sex with altar boys.

19. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Overreactions are pretty damned fun then.

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Yes, more fun, but is it more right? I, personally, would choose right over fun any day.

But to each his own. :)

21. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

I suppose. From my point of view sex is one of the most natural and beautiful things that a human can ever do, wether its alone, with a partner or with more than that. I certainly didn't expect anybody on the religious right to come out and approve like S/M or anything like that but it was certainly refreshing that his attitude wasn't sex is evil and only to be used for procreation which true to the Bible or not is the message that is spouted out by the majority of the religious conservatives in power here. His message was the complete opposite and really spun a positive angle on human sexuality.

You can argue wether you believe its "right" or not however you describe that but I don't think anyone can seriously argue that having better sex is a bad thing.

22. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I don't get what's so unusual about this? Sure, some Puritanical Christian sects condemn the non-procreative types of sex, but the essential Christian view is that sex is for a husband and wife, and that beyond that it's all fair game. As long as you're only having sex with the person you married (and yes, I do believe that it's limited to heterosexual relationships, but that's not the focus of the thread so I won't get into it here), then God is pleased with that. In fact, I'm pretty sure that everything good comes from God, so therefore pleasurable sex falls into that category, and as long as you stick to his basic guidelines there's no reason to think that the more unusual types of sex are off-limits.

I know my wife and I will be experimenting, once we're married. We've already had a few conversations about the fact that we both will have some interesting things we'd like to try (though we didn't go into detail, no need to increase the temptation to try it out now). Nothing wrong with that, and I think that's the message this preacher's trying to get out. Too many people think that "missionary style" is the only style Christianity allows, when it's really just the frigid holier-than-thou Pharisaical "Christians" that would say that in public.

jW

23. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

hey hopefully this helps people get a little less uptight about sex.

but i am against biggotry. yes i believe marriage is for a man and a woman. but hey, in today's world, why not let them get the same protection and rights from the govt? ie for tax, estate and other purposes.

24. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Why not get government out of marriage completely? Would solve this problem real quick. No need to license marriages.

25. aquajet macrumors 68020

God has a monopoly on things that are good?

And pleasurable sex is that which is "good" in the eyes of God?

:confused: