One desktop thread?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by calebjohnston, Apr 26, 2006.

1. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I'm getting really sick of this "OMG YOU STARTED THE MONTHLY DESKTOP THREAD 1 DAY EARLY!??!!?!!?!?" thing.

Can't there just be one thread for all desktops and then everyone can shutup about it?

2. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

They all just get sooo long. 25 pages plus. I would say make a whole forum and just have it automatically make a new one each month and let that be that. I am forever burned from starting april early, never again.

3. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

no there can't be for the reason of too many images in a single thread with way too many posts would start to bog down the server a bit due to so much being loaded on with attachments and the posts themselves

and for those that post the images with the image tags will make users on dialup cry every time they go to the thread to post their own desktop.

It is just not plausible for this to be done in my opinion.

4. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Yeah, the real concern with this would be with it "bogging down the server" as eva said. Not a huge deal I suppose, it's just rediculous how much crap people get over starting a thread a day early. I swear citizen arrests would be enforced if it was possible.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

do those threads take a lot from the server? Do they get deleted after X amount of days/months/years?

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I would imagine that they do. 25+ pages of pic upon pic of desktops, probably gets to be a bit much. Imagine all of those threads combined into one big monster thread! :eek:

7. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

I've seen back as far as... July 05 I believe. Maybe it goes back farther? Could be a 12 month rotation or something.

8. kineticpast macrumors member

The threads aren't server intensive at all and combining them in to one thread would make very little difference at all! A majority of the images are hosted on other servers, so most images are really just a small line of code to the server. Only those attached make any difference, but if every user didn't change how often they viewed the desktop threads then they wouldn't be accessed more than usual in a single thread.

The only difference would be that new MacRumors users might browse through the entire thread, whereas before they may have only looked at the current months, but that still wouldn't be a significant load on the server!

That said, I prefer the monthly threads as it is much easier to remember where you were up to, whether you are logged in on your comp or elsewhere.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I don't know vBulletin very well, but I would have thought the size of a thread is irrelevant because it's the amount of images on a page that counts. I might just be showing my perpetual ignorance here though. :eek:

10. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I get your point but, I like the monthly desktops because of christmas, spring, summer times will give you different types and current events...keep it as it is just put it as a rule in the FAQ ;)

11. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

How about a mod makes the thread every month then. =) (and ONLY a mod)

12. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think that's an interesting idea. But it's a bit unfair to have to put yet another task onto the mods. You'd hope that we could be mature enough about it. :eek:

13. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

You seem like a very angry person getting upset over tiny tiny details...

14. calebjohnston thread starter macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Eh, I'm just bitter about life in general. I don't like seeing random people 'enforcing' some hierarchy of power over other people with no justification.

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Meh, people like to see their name under a thread with a lot of replies. It's the same reason 30 people post as soon as the newest security update is released or something.

I don't think having the mods start it is a worthwhile investment of their time, and I don't know that the issue is really that big of a deal. Mods clean up the desktop threads that get started too early, and the rest seems to proceed pretty cleanly all things considered.

16. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I agree. It's pretty much a non-issues in my opinion.