One display for Mac/PC...How?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ottonian, Feb 5, 2003.

1. ottonian macrumors member

When I upgrade and get a new Powermac this year, I'd like to keep my old one online. I design websites and use the PC to preview and tweak. No desk space for 3 monitors. What is the Cheapest way to use one monitor for bot my old Mac and the PC? Thanks!

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Sony sells monitors with dual input.
    The Multiscan Gxxx series, if I'm not mistaken.
    Hope its some help... goodluck.

3. Macpoops macrumors 6502

You could get a KVM switch from doctor blott. Which lets you control many computers with 1 keyboard and 1 monitor. You could also use Microsoft Remote desktop (i think thats what it;s called) if you are running win2000 or higher. That allows your mac to control the pc. looks sorta like VPC only much better performance. it does require you to have some sort of ethernet connection to the pc

4. Chimaera macrumors regular

my monitor (Iiyama VM Pro 454) has dual-inputs - I use it to work of both my unix box and my windows box with a minimum of fuss.

5. WannabeSQ macrumors 6502

the CHEAPEST way is to simply move the plug from the mac to the pc whenever you want to use it. But that is impractical. You didn't mention what type of monitors these are, but if they are regular VGA input monitors, a standard KVM switch would work. They make USB ones that would also let your keyboard and mouse switch over to control the PC. If you have an ADC monitor, you may need an ADC-DVI adapter, which is costly and a switch box. Someone does make a switchbox that accepts one ADC monitor, and lets 2 DVI computers control it.

6. Larry macrumors newbie

Dr. Bott is where you should go. They've been supplying us dual platform users w/ solutions for a long time. I have one of their older KVM switches and share monitor, keybd and mouse betw. a legacy (G4-800) 7600 and a Dell Dimension. The only problem is that the right click doesn't work on the pc side...I don't know if there is a workaround.
    You can share a USB peripheral (printer in my case) w/ a new nifty little thingy from Belkin. It switches via software betw. and mac and pc abd works great.