One DVD into several AVI files, HOW?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BEET, Sep 23, 2004.

1. BEET macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I've just ripped a copy of a Futurama dvd (I already own) and am trying to compress it. I've already compressed some of the other film dvds I have into the more convenient 700mb sizes. Can anyone tell me how to separate the Futurama dvd into several compressed files, ie one for each cartoon on the dvd? I've tried doing it, and all I get is one cartoon at 700mb. Can I do it with Handbrake or do I need some other type of software?

thanks loads, BEET

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Use HandBrake, and you can just pick one title at a time.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21117

You can use it to rip right from the DVD into a avi file. Simple and easy to use.

3. sinbushar macrumors regular

on a related note, is there an application used to break up a dvd for burning onto several single layered dvd's?...

-adel

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Just look for DVD backup on www.versiontracker.com. You might just want to compress a DVD rather than break it up.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/19238

Hell, just look up DVD on VT and you get anything you want to do with DVDs. From collection tracking, to ripping, to players.

5. BEET thread starter macrumors member

The video_ts files from the original dvd aren't separated into the individual episodes of the cartoon though. So if I do select one of the video_ts files and compress it I'll just end up with a random selection of one of the cartoons.
    I'm currently compressing the whole dvd to see if I can use Explicit to cut up into individual avi files, but I don't think this is gonna work to well.
    Any other suggestions? (thanks for you help)