One for the mathies

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by telecomm, Oct 22, 2006.

1. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I was sent a link to this video some time ago, and after receiving another today it reminded me that some here might enjoy it (at least those who've done some group theory).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTby_e4-Rhg

It's really sort of impressive! :D

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

3. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Excellent video. I'm in my second year of my maths degree and most of the stuff they mentioned I am doing in Analysis :(.

Analysis is so hard.
    Algebra is easier
    Calculus is the easiest!

4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I'm doing maths AS level. Calculus is easy and algebra even easier but i dont know anything about analysis or is that like statistics?? Anyway, i could never do a maths degree; engineering for me.

5. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Analysis is all to do with relations, inequalities, sets and stuff. I don't like it! Algebra and Analysis seem to be overlapping a lot so far in my course (axioms and stuff).

6. RacerX macrumors 65832

Modern Algebra and Analysis are the foundations of mathematics... which is why both of those courses are required in pretty much every undergraduate math program anywhere.

As for the video, they touch on quite a few subjects including Calculus on Manifolds (wedge products and differential forms) and Topology... most likely a lot more than that (I've only watched it once).

You're still at the beginning of mathematics... there is tons of great stuff that awaits you further on! I have a hard time even remembering all the upper division and graduate math classes I've taken. Once you get your requirements out of the way, you can go where your heart takes you (or at least I was allowed to roam freely in the environment I was in).