One G5 as usual, one dead G5 as a disk server?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by fivegrand, Nov 12, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2008
    So without a long and boring story that no one cares about, I'll just say that I have two G5's, one is perfect and one is well and truly dead.

I'm scheming to convert the dead box into a disk server (essentially a RAID array but without the redundancy), and I'm curious about the attachment method.

I would really like to figure out how to attach via PCI cards, as in SCSI-SCSI or a SATA-SATA card (Neither Firewire nor USB are fast enough for what I have planned). But with the logic board being fried, I'm thinking that won't work unless there's an aftermarket bridge available that can be fitted to a PCI window.

The nuts and bolts and soldering stuff (power supply routing, volume pot for fan control, etc) isn't a problem, just trying to figure out an attaching bridge between the two boxes. Basically if I can figure out how to get from one box to the other, once I'm inside it's no problem.

Any thoughts?
  2. macrumors regular

Oct 11, 2008
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2008
  4. macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    bridge over troubled water

for a one cable solution, try THIS. one bridge on either end, InfiniBand cable in the middle, done. sweet!