One Glass of Wine = Jail.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Oct 12, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Apparently, In the People's New Republic of Washington, .01 can land you in the slammer:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/11/AR2005101101968.html

God I hate and love that city.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

My goodness! That does seem pretty intense... They even admitted that she was 'well under the legal amount' and still booked and arrested her?! :eek: Glad I never drink and drive... whew (that and I'm no where near there, hee).

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, that or he pulls random people over and arrests anyone who's had a drink.

I'm vigorously opposed to drunk drivers. But one glass of wine does not a drunk driver make....

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Good thing the cops didn't decide they'd had a bad day and beat the **** out of her just because and then claim she'd been drunk and resisting arrest...

You really shouldn't be driving at night without your headlights on though. I got popped for forgetting that when I was 16.

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Jeez! Glad I don't live there.

And I am sure the police officers there never go out with buddies to have a few beers and then drive home afterwards:p

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Actually, I believe in most states (and DC?) having blood alcohol over the legal limit is just one way you can be arrested for being intoxicated. The other is behaving in an intoxicated manner. It doesn't take much alcohol for some people to get drunk.

7. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

I hate cops....on one hand the cop was probably a dick but on the other hand she could have been giving him alot of crap that was not necessary

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

It's the driving, not what you blow.

Lets say that you had pulled a double shift, and were asleep on your feet and foolishly decided to drive home. You can be pulled over and taken off the road for dangerous driving - as you should be.

Or if you had popped some powerful painkillers and were out of it.
    Or were pumped up on antihistimines so that one red wine put you in la la land.

You can be impaired without alcohol, and you can be impaired with lower than the legal blood limit. All it changes is the details of the charges brought against you.

And if you are driving without lights at night, or for example, wandering out of your lane, missing stoplights and generally a hazard of killing someone, for damn certain I want you off the road no matter WHAT the internal chemical state of affairs is between your ears.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

being a DC driver, this article certainly was a scary find this morning...

at the same time, dc cops don't just pull anyone and everyone over to administer alcohol tests. she *had* to have been doing something stupid- i've been pulled over for no headlights often in town. its easy to forget when the city is so bright and the lights on my car suck so bad. the cops laugh, tell me to turn them on, and we go our seperate ways.

yes, this has happend on the road where she was stopped.

i think she had more than shes admitting, and i think she must have done something to warrent to arrest.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I don't know about DC, but Denver doesn't have the public transportation infrastructure needed to abate this problem. I'd happily take the light rail home if it ran that late and stopped within 8 miles of my house...

11. tristan macrumors 6502a

A few years ago I was driving in Herndon (right next to DC) and was speeding, but the cop didn't have his radar ready, so they decided to hassle me for supposedly drinking. They asked me to take three dexterity tests to check sobreity and then informed me that I failed two of them! Because I had paused for breath when I recited the alphabet, and because when I had walked the straight line I had done it too slowly. It was complete BS, but it gave him an excuse to use his breathalyzer. I blew a .01 because I had had a beer several hours earlier but I was completely sober and he and I both knew it, he was just hassling me. After checking all my tags and searching the car he finally let me go, but by that time I had been sitting on the side of the road for 40 minutes. Basically he just hassled me because he wasn't able to catch me for speeding and because I was a young guy in a nice car (Boxster).

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You admit to speeding, so you probably deserved the hassle.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

"You'd rather see me in the pen/
    Then me and Lorenzo rollin in the Benz-o"
    ;)

They're cops. They don't need a reason. Just be glad you're not black or arabic looking.

14. tristan macrumors 6502a

By your logic, if you commit a minor crime, but they don't have any evidence that would hold up in court, they're justified in trying to build a case for a major crime even if the evidence obviously isn't there either.

I deserved what I deserved - a speeding ticket. No less and no more. Trying to come up with other charges was an abuse of authority.

15. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

The sad part of it? Is that cops do it all the time. That's how they use the loopholes in law, just as criminal defense attorneys look for/ use loopholes.

A cop came into one of my classes once and discussed methods of 'nabbing' drivers. They'll use anything from a busted tail light, furry dice on the rearview mirror, not signaling to change lanes, etc... to eventually nab the driver for other faults as well.

16. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You're reading too much into my logic. I am only saying that you seemed to be excusing your speeding by suggesting that the cops didn't have any good reason to pull you over.

17. tristan macrumors 6502a

Naah, pulling me over was perfectly justified. Telling me I failed two out of three "DUI" tests was where they crossed the line.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Here comes the Police State wanting to turn everyone into a lawbreaker, its what is really going on. If we create enough laws,take away enough libertys and freedoms and give abusive power to the Police State we can make everyone pay into the System on top of the taxes they get. The system wants to Grow,,,,,,and Grow and Grow and the only way it can do that is by making us all guilty of something.

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Perhaps you didn't realize that THEY'RE COPS! Cops are allowed to lie to you whenever they want. Learn this and remember it.

If an officer suspects you for something -- anything -- he can lie out his ass to you, tell you you failed every test and are going to jail if he thinks it will help him get you to admit to what he suspects you did.

They'll tell you your best friend turned state's evidence against you. They'll tell you they found your stash. They'll tell you the charges you're facing can put you away for 5 years. And on and on and on.

That's just how dealing with cops is. Time and again, their right to lie to a suspect has been upheld. The only thing you can do if you're innocent is to stick to your story through it. If you're not innocent... well then you better keep your story as straight as an arrow. And really, you may not know what they think you did for a good long time.

Just my $.02

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's 12:30 in the morning. It should have been obvious to her when she couldn't see a damn thing that the valet turned off the auto headlights and she needed to turn them on. If you need an auto headlight feature to determine when to turn your headlights on, stick to day driving. Maybe this night in jail will teach her not to be a complete idiot in the future.

So no, I have no sympathy for her. Perhaps she shouldn't be charged with a DWI, but if they can charge her for being a stupid driver who's too lazy to be driving, then I'm all for it.

21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

have you ever been to a big city? :rolleyes:

georgetown looks like day time all the time because of the lights

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Several big cities in fact, and at night. But even with city lights, visibility is still greatly impaired, and even if she has perfect vision, the person behind her might not.

You shouldn't need an auto headlight system to know when to turn your lights on anyways. It's 12:30 AM. Even if you can see without, the fact it's after midnight should be enough reason for you to turn on your lights.

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Just to be a dork: except for in Alaska in the summer... ;)

24. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

my point about the headlights... which i explained above...

i've been pulled over for this. in dc. on the same street. the cops told me to pay attention, and go home.

if the cops are saying she was drunk, i'm inclined to believe them.

25. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

With your headlights off, how do you know how fast you are driving?