One Heck of an Ebay Deal, Scam?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Koree, Mar 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koree macrumors 6502

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Koree thread starter macrumors 6502

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

The display alone is worth twice the asking price of $1500.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Obvious scam, there is no buy it now button, therefore to buy it for that asking price you would need to contact him and go outside of eBay, where he could freely rip you off.

Either that, or the seller is just a complete moron (completely possible, he listed a PowerMac G5 in the VIDEO GAMES section).

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Somebody have an extra $1500 they want to turn into toilet paper to see if this is a scam or not? ;)

7. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

If it's too good to be true, it probably is a scam.

8. texasmafia macrumors member

texasmafia

Here is the response I got when I e-mailed him. Sounds like he is full of crap.

HI
    First I want to tell you that my power mac and cdispay* are brand new, unopened box all* accessories included and also an 3 year apple care and international warranty. My* price is the best you could get: 1500USD(not euro), including the shipping and insurance taxes. We will pay them because the package will be delivered from Europe.
    As delivery service we use UPS2days air service or overnight* (with insurance and 15 days return policy), because it's the faster. And if you will have a quick payment, we must also have a quick delivery. So that's why we use as a payment method Western Union money transfer, the fastest and also very secure way of sending money. I just open a electronics company here in europe
    If i will make with you a good deal,you will recommend me ,maybe ,to your friends* or to other persons.For me it is very important to have permanent deals on ebay,
    any negatice deal will not make good to me,That explain the price
    So, if you agree with my terms I'm sure that we can close the deal as soon as possible.
    Waiting your quick answer right now,

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Wait a minute, this is like the one middle eastern goof we had here selling computers for cheap out of his dorm room -- his source for product, another online scam. :p

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

What a mumbling mess that is, can't even speak half decent english :rolleyes:

11. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I think the way you can tell is that he is looking for a quick sale, nobody who is selling something is really looking for a quick sale. Just like when I sell a laptop on ebay and there are 100 indonesian people willing to give me some outrageous price and they want to do it quickly. But only with credit cards, no matter how many times you say you can't take a freaking credit card.

12. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Ha! I knew it was a scam before I even clicked to read your post. The definition of scam is "one heck of an eBay deal." :D

13. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

1) Cut the racial profiling, 2) Yes its a scame

Look guys, just because the e-mail doesn't use the Queen's proper English doesn't mean you have to make all kinds of nasty statements about the guy. If, however, you want to imply that he *might* be scum because of his likely eBay rip-off then go right ahead...

I have seen these deals on eBay before. Again, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Why would someone sell for $1500, what they could sell for MUCH more?

Be weary of people who want to use brokers/escrow clients to close the deal. In one scam I was able to do a "whois" on the domain name for the escrow site I was asked to use. You can find who registered the domain name and search their name on the web. Big surprise, the guy was linked to MANY scams. Do your homework and play it safe.

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I understand where you are coming from, but in the end a sale on eBay is like a sale in a brick and mortar shop. If you don't feel comfortable with the why you are spoken to, leave.

But in the end, I did not see any comments that was worth the use of "racial profiling".

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

hayduke,

More like we were payment profiling... any moron using Western Union is a scumbag.

Especially when they say the item is coming from outside the US, cannot speak english as well as any other poorly educated American -- which he says he is when he lists his location as Omaha, Nebraska.

And I know the education system in Nebraska is bad, but -- that bad?

All this added together makes it sound like an offshore ripoff, using a hacked $3 misc crap account.

16. minesgeek macrumors member

bad english does not equal scam

western union only and described as "secure"= scam

too good to be true = scam

western union of a too good to be true deal in albania = should i write more?

17. tigers macrumors newbie

Look at his feedback and check out the last few auctions he's had. All for less than $5. No doubt a scammer. I'm wondering if somebody got their Ebay account owned though...

18. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Anytime a seller wants to go out of ebay and use Wester Union, it's a scam. Believe me I have learned. :(

19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It is now an invalid link... guess it was a scam?

20. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.