One iOS feature that I wish Android had

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by nyc999, May 9, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Screen notifications...I know there are android apps out there that can do so, but I haven't been able to find an app that would display useful information that I am looking for.

For example when I get an email, I would like a pop up screen notification that describes who the email is from and what the subject is...and I would also like to be able to configure how long the notification stays on the screen. Is there an app out there that can do so?

2. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

What phone do you have? I think samsung phones do turn on and display a notification in the form of a scroll at the top. I know the nexus displays it the same way, but does not turn the screen on.

3. thread starter macrumors member

have the samsung droid charge. i do get a notification in the notification bar, but would like an email pop up noification on the screen like iOS does with info about the subject/sender.

same issue with text messages, but i have found that using Go SMS has solved that problem (gives me a pop up text msg).

4. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

I wish I could tap the status bar to jump back to the top, faster scrolling in Android lessens the need but its still nice at the bottom of a really long page.

5. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

There's an app called iPhone notifications in the play store that does exactly that.

6. macrumors 68000

Yes Lightflow can do just that....

7. mattopotamus, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013

macrumors G3

mattopotamus

Something I like better with android notification and emails is that I can archive an email right from the notification menu. If you have 4.2.2 or maybe just jelly bean you just do a "two finger split" and it brings up email options right from the notification menu.
    Here is an example

Attached Files:

8. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

Wasn't it changed to one finger?

9. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Yes.

10. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

Haven't used my Nexus 4 in a while so I wasn't sure :p

11. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Oh Stock Android how I've missed you so, I can't wait for Cyanogenmod to come to my model of S4.

12. thread starter macrumors member

so I tried out that app. but I am still having the same issue where it just displays a generic 'mail notification' pop up. What I am looking for is a little more detailed info such as sender name/subject line...does the paid version do so, or any other app out there for such a purpose?

13. macrumors 6502a

Assault

Use Boat Browser if you want that feature for both quick scrolling all the way down and all the way up a webpage.

14. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

Sorry this doesn't directly answer your question but you can buy it and see for yourself. If it doesn't, you have 15 minutes to click the refund button on the apps page.

15. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I found a better one. This one displays the info you want and as an added bonus looks more like stock android so its fits the design better.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...vbS5ubHVjYXMucG9wdXBub3RpZmljYXRpb25zbGl0ZSJd

16. macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

The one feature I miss is tap to top. I keep finding myself doing it from time to time on my nexus 4. Especially right after I've used my ipad or ipod.

17. macrumors G3

mattopotamus

did not know this. I have been using two fingers this whole time!

18. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

Lol yeah they changed it but I forgot in which version exactly. To minimize it you can swipe down then up.

19. macrumors 68030

sk1wbw

Built in support for app badges. And a proper backup solution, because Android backup sucks.

20. Sylon, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013

macrumors 68000

Sylon

EDIT: Stupid symbols on the top of the damn screen! What ever happend to Copy, Cut, and Paste? Why do you need stupid symbols that all look similar?

Anyway, the thing I was trying to say was agreeing with TacticalDesire about the "tap to scroll up" feature on iOS. Stupid Android icons.

21. macrumors 65816

adnbek

Wrong thread?

22. macrumors 68000

Sylon

No, well yeah, but the mistake came from the stupid "copy/cut/paste" icons on the top of the screen on my phone. They all look too damn similar and I tapped the wrong one. Second time today that I've done that.

23. macrumors 68010

Not to exynos (i can gaurantee you though that an unofficial CM rom WILL come though to exynos if official doesn't), but the S600 CPU variant will probably see an official port considering it has a much more "open" CPU vendor and shared it with many devices.

Also, be prepared to wait a couple months before the camera is as good as it was on touchwiz ROMs.

24. 3bs
    macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I'm not a big fan of this either.

25. macrumors 6502a