Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jzdavid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Wondering if anyone has an answer for me. I have a 5G Video iPod, and I have it sync'd to my office computer (music, playlists, contacts, photos, etc). I just purchased a new 24" iMac 2.8 and would like to sync my iPod to this machine as well.

So, can I sync one iPod to two computers? I would like to keep the same music, playlists, etc on both machines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

gojaromeiginla

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2007
No. There is no way you can sync to both computers. The best you could do would be to manually manage. You could then use playlists from both computers, as well as use all the music from both computers.

Edit: If you want to put the music from the old computer onto your new computer, enable disk usage, and put all your actual files onto your iPod through finder. Then transfer the files onto your new computer.

xkRoWx

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
Canada
I don't think you can actually sync one iPod to two computers. But if you do wish to have two seperate machines with the same playlists/files, try using an external hard drive on a network. The external hard drive can be treated as a back-up just in case you lose anything important in one of the computers.

Sync both iTunes libraries using the external hard drive as source, and you should be able to have two computer with the same playlist/files.

hdayala

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
When connected to your computer, Your iPod immediately looks for the iTunes Music folder. That is what it is "Married" to. Drag the entire music folder onto an external source. Connect this external source to your second computer. Go to user - your account - music - iTunes. There you will see the iTunes Music Folder. Drag it to your desktop and leave it there. Now, from your external source, drag and drop the Music Folder you copied from your first computer into the iTunes Folder. You can discard the music folder from your desktop. You should now be able to connect your iPod to either computer as you iPod will see the same folder on each computer.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Yes indeed - not readily possible from what I fiddled around with.

Yet another reason why I abandoned the Mac for all of my home entertainment stuff as it's actually not that media-friendly a machine unless you're doing things exactly as Steve dictated.

It depends on how complete you want this solution to be, but an automatic or manual two-way sync is possible if you were to install Parallels or Boot Camp and go to the Dark - and more flexible - Side. Installing Anapod Explorer or j.River Media Center (both about $30-40) would give you a wealth of sync options. j.River in particular is notable for looking and working in fairly similar manner to iTunes so allows you to slide into it easily, but hides options considerably more powerful (and less restrictive) when compared to iTunes.

mmfy

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2007
Anything like Anapod that works with the iPod Touch?? I have all my music on my Mac at work, but my PC at homee has the hi-speed inter - want to sync podcasts from teh PC but the rest at work....too hard eh! Guess I'll just have to download the podcasts and carry them to work :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.