Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike_S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2005
I have a Lacie external Firewire drive. It had two partitions and one of them has vanished. I've tried rebooting, disconecting etc, but each time I get a message telling me that it's an unrecognised disk, do I want to format it? I say no, and then the second partition appears on the desktop. I'm running 9.2.2 & 10.2.6 on a G4. If anyone has any suggestions - either what I can do or what software is likely to help me recover it (Norton doesn't) I'd really appreciate it.

all the best, Mike

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
You should check with Lacie's website and see if you have the latest firmware.

Don't use Norton, it will destroy your hard drive.

Here are a few suggestions

Backup all the data first, off of the partition once it appears, before attempting any of these.

You could try repairing permissions

Try booting your Mac without the drive connected, then once the OS appears then connect the drive, in some cases this is known to fix problems.

Using the disk utility you can select the drive or partition and either verify or repair it.

Before switching off your computer, unmount the firewire drive, by dragging the partition icons on your desktop to the trash.

You could also delete the preferences file and see if this fixes the problem.

Don't forget that the PRAM stores details of the hard drives connected to your Mac, so resetting this may just resolve the problem.

You could copy all of your files off the partition that is causing problems and then format the partition and then copy them all back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.