One last time: MBP and Oblivion

Discussion in 'Games' started by bluetorch18, Jul 25, 2006.

1. bluetorch18 macrumors regular

I've read most of the threads about playing The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on a MacBook Pro, but I still a bit curious before spending over 2 grand on a new computer. First off, for people that have played it on a 2.16GHz(256MB VRAM) or a 2.0GHz(128MB VRAM)...does it run well? As in smoothly and nice like the 360 version? Also, is there a huge difference in performance(gaming wise) between the two models? I've seen benchmarks, but they seem to vary alot...One last thing.....assuming that Apple updates their MacBook Pros at WWDC, is it likely they would upgrade the graphics chip as well?
    Thanks.....

2. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Well, from what I've read on these forums, Oblivion runs just fine on a Macbook Pro. That being said, I find something almost humorous about worrying if your 2 grand machine can play a game just as well as a 400 buck machine can play that same game... unless you have a terrible TV and really want it to be portable...

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

For you i would almost deffinately go with more VRAM, you will need it for Oblivion.
    the PC version of Oblivion is the most demanding game out there ( i think) so get the most vRAM you can. There were some pretty cool benchmarks of PCs running oblivion in the latest issue of Maximum PC, you should deffinately check it out.

4. bluetorch18 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, but I don't have a 360, I've only played Oblivion on one. My MacBook Pro wouldn't be just for gaming, but as I said I would still like to play high quality games on it. My TV isn't terrible, but it isn't HD either, besides, I don't really want to spend $400 on a machine for one game...and I also want it to be portable, other wise I'd save myself a few hundred bucks and buy a new iMac.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

wait a while before you buy. Merom is out now, so expect MBP updates soon. And yes, there will probably be updated graphics cards. Apple doesn't always update the graphics when it does a new revision, but there are plenty of good mobile chips they could use, and they want to stay competitive with high end PC laptops.

6. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

That is gonna be sweet when Apple update Duo Core 2! Probably 2x (or more?) faster on XP (bootcamp) than previous chip.