One less Enzo...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 3rdpath, Feb 22, 2006.

1. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    So the story is he was racing an SLR on the PCH, lost control and clipped a power pole 5-10 feet off the ground.

ouch!

2. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i drove by yesterday and scavenged a 4" piece of red wreckage. :D

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Darwin is shaking his head right now, wondering how this one slipped through his fingers.

4. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

While the enzo is a miraculously fast car, they're ugly as sin. If you're gonna spend that kind of cash, get a Bugatti.

5. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

What an idiot. It is some consolation that the over-rich b*stard had to leave his million dollar baby in pieces on the road to escape the law...an expensive little lesson in physics, no?

I smell an ebay auction....

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

There is no escape. They'll have the VIN number already and be paying a visit to this guy's house... so now he can add a charge of leaving the scene of an accident (in which another person was injured, lest we forget) to his resumé.

Hope he does some jail time for this.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Oh, I know he'll get caught. I'm glad he ran off though, since it puts him in deeper sh*t.

I hope they get the driver of the other car too...probably another moron with more money than sense.

8. 3rdpath thread starter macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    The l.a. times article ( in print) was more detailed about the whole "other driver" scenario. the car's owner was at the scene( a swede named eriksson) and he told police that a man he only knew as "dietrich" was driving the car. "Dietrich" ran away after the accident.

The sgt. at the scene said " He( Ericksson) had a .09 blood alcohol level, but if he's a passenger, that's ok. But he had a bloody lip, and only the air bag on the driver's side had blood on it. The passenger-side bag did not. My Scooby-Doo detectives are looking closely into that."

Now that's pretty freakin funny.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

So, perhaps he was in the car by himself and tried to play the old "the driver ran away" bit while he moved himself to the passenger seat? What a moron... you know they're gonna type and DNA test the blood to see if it's his...

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

So this got me wondering what the bodycount on Enzos is so far....

After a quick search it looks like the number of Enzos left is at maximum 398, probably 397, including today's crash - the photos speak for themselves.

Fatal Enzo crash Notice the green cloth on the road, probably covering a piece of the driver...

$400,000 in damages!

Another crash, this time in the UK.

And I thought Ferrari was really picky as to whom was allowed to buy its cars...makes me sick to look at shredded Enzos.

11. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

nah, this could be the only Ferrari I ever own. ;)

12. DMPDX macrumors 6502

ahh

My neighbor was one of the first 50 to purchase the enzo, back when they were sub $700,000, brand new. That was with the fee of importing it too. Since they're so scarse they've skyrockete in price. Here in portland, OR the grand turismo dealership has one at a $900,000. The black beauty in my opinion.

13. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

14. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I'm just glad it's not the one owned by Richard Losee. He let Road & Track take his Enzo for a 1000 mile road test, with Phil Hill driving! :eek:
    He also bought a second set of doors, and made it into a Targa.

15. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

gross, i bet it's a leg, look at the shape.

16. russed macrumors 68000

russed

wow that is a nasty crash - where has the rest of the car gone? there is most of the back and none of the front! :eek:

17. mpw Guest

Having walked away from a crash into a telegraph pole at 120mph he can consider himself lucky whatever fine/time he does.

A fool for driving like that on that public road:mad: but at least his car got to live a little before it died, most Enzo's probably rarly leave their climate controlled garage.:(

18. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

that badboy was in the last few pages of my free local newspaper today (newcastle, UK). pic of some dude standing next to it with a broom.

sweet.

19. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It's a shame to see another dead Enzo, but I thought you got time on the Ferrari track with instructors, etc when you bought one? From what I saw on the news yesterday, he was only doing 120mph, and on quite an easy looking patch of road. You've got to be a pretty crappy driver to crash like that.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

No, he was doing 120 when he hit the pole. They think he had exceeded 200 before the crash. He probably had the rear end step out and over-compensated, or lost it under braking. Enzos can scrub a lot of speed off really quick, but 120 is still insane speed...as you can see from what's left of the car.

You know it's a wild car if Micheal Schumacher himself says that turning off the traction control is "unwise" even for a driver of his caliber - remember, the Enzo is in some respects very close to Formula One performance, but F1 cars all have traction control! :eek:

21. grizzlybrice macrumors regular

grizzlybrice

On the way to lunch in Monterey myself and 3 buddies noticed an Enzo parked on a side street with the driver inside. I didn't have the nerve to go up to the guy, but two of our posse did. The four of us ended up chatting about the car with the guy for about 15 minutes.

It was quite an experience. My buddy had the nerve to ask for a ride, and this older driver said that if he had a camera phone he would take a picture in the front seat of it. I thought it was odd for an older gent to be so gungho about technology. We found out at the end of our conversation that of the 400 made (number 400 went to the old pope for auction), this was number 399 and that there are only 80 stateside. And the guy was one of the co-founders of Nextel. Quite crazy.

The guy mentioned that one can turn off the traction control, but said it himself that it was 'unwise', funny that he used the same wording.

The guy is living his dream. He said that the car starts to feel 'right' when one is going 170+. The love for Ferraris can spread quickly. And to quote this outstanding gentleman, "Ferarris are meant to be driven."

The Grizz

PS. Oh, he did a 180 on the side street (poorer turning radius than one would think), and then tore it up down the little straightaway to the stopsign. It sounded so sweeet. Very throaty, unlike a supercar, more muscle car.

22. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

so wait, was it totaled?

I think that buying a ferrari is a bad idea if you do anything besides collecting and/or racing on the track. They are just too powerful. Buy a top of the line mercedes, maserati, bentley, rolls, or anything not a sports car. Spend that much, get a luxury. Just my opinion though. No one seems to care.

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

They've got it over at WreckedExotics.com too. I love that site. For those that have never seen it, it's a database of thousands of photos of wrecked exotic cars plus weird and strange wrecks with regular cars.

Coverage of this crash:
    http://www.wreckedexotics.com/special/enzo/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GEEZ!

24. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

They should make another series of "Red Asphalt" style movies. But instead of cracked open heads and spilled brains, pictures of wrecked exotics and Ferrari engines sitting in the middle of the highway.

25. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Looks like the front end got light cresting that hill and he lost it on the way down. That is an exensive lump of Italian steel in the road there. :rolleyes: