One Long Tone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Crawn2003, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I just have a quick question.

I had my PowerBook G4 17", the revision before the "HD" display version, and I was waking it from sleep when I could tell it was kernel panicing. So I hit the power button to turn it off and it gives off this long, single tone.

What does that tone mean? I've tried the database on Apple but it only brings up PowerMac G3's no matter what search I type. At the moment I'm running a extended hardware test to see if it comes up with anything.

The memory is crucial.com memory but bought through a third party company.

Thanks for any help/advice.

~Crawn

2. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

Kernel panics are caused by faulty hardware 99% of the time, and the majority of those problems are because of ram. I'd suspect that to be the culprit.

I believe Crucial is good about replacing faulty ram. If you find that to be the problem, contact them.

I'm not too sure what the long tone means, but I'll look around and see if I can find anything.

3. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

Isn't a long single tone the FirmWare upgrade sound?

It could be bad memory, but I am just guessing, and the PM sometimes made a tone if someting was bad at boot.

Are you always getting a tone at every boot?

Boot for FirmWare (hold down comand option O F)

Type help to see a list of general commands. I forget how to test the memory. A quick guide to FirmWare is here.

4. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

Ram from CRUCIAL its self is MUCH more reliable...guaranteed to work with your system
    Take RAM chip out and either replace it with a new one, or get your money back. (if you can)