Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
Chrispy said:
It is so nice to actually hear someone say that haha. How long have you had yours? That is wonderful you are problem free... so many people with problems around these forms have given me a grim outlook haha.
Most people who don't have a problem wouldn't bother to post about it. Knock on wood, my MBP has been great!

Reaver

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
generik said:
Do you already have a desktop?

I bought a refurbished one offline it should be here this friday or the begining of next week but right now I am using his MB to surf and check emails. cause my previous windows box took a dive and I am right now without a home PC.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
mmmcheese said:
Performance decrease? Everything will ship 64-bit? What? Why? This doesn't make any sense at all.

Let's do an example. I have a program that does a whole bunch of 16-bit math (16-bit photoshop filters for example). So if all of my math is 16-bit, how does running on a 64-bit OS help or hurt the program?

If Apple ships all applications as 64-bit applications, what happens to all the users with 32-bit machines? I'll give you a hint: 1) They won't be able to run the application. 2) Apple will sell both a 64-bit and a 32-bit version (both Universal of course)...so we'd have 4 different executables in 2 different packages...and all 4 have to be tweaked and debugged and tested.

The vast majority of applications don't need 64-bits, and in fact won't even be able to take advantage of it. How will a 64-bit version iWeb be better than a 32-bit version?

Just look at the Windows side for a moment...very few use 64-bit versions of Windows....and of those who do, very few have 64-bit versions of the software that run on it. Most of the video and modeling, etc is done on 32-bit versions of Windows and appropriate software.

All I'm saying is, don't get swept up in the hype...they know they can sell numbers...people who have no idea about computers can see that 64 is bigger than 32...SO IT MUST BE BETTER. In reality, it will be many years before you have to have a 64-bit processor. Look how long the transition from 16-bit to 32-bit took. We're probably only half way through the transition... The SPARC went 64-bit in 1994, the Itanium was 64-bit in 2001 and the Athlon 64 came out in 2003. The first two are hardcore workstation/server chips, and it has only been recently that 64-bit in that space has become a "must have" feature. It'll be a while...it's all marketing-hype at this point on the PC (as in Personal Computer, not Windows Computer). If you want to wait for the 64-bit chips, then great...but it's not all everyone is saying it is...at least not now, or in the next few years.

Here's one more question. If Apple upgrades the MBP tomorrow and the only change is to go from the 2.16GHz Yonah, to the 2.16GHz Merom, and they increase the price by $100, will you be mad?

Great post :)

I agree with you 100%

*anxiously awaiting MBP from FedEX*

Ed

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
JMies419 said:
Take a look at ALL of those major PC makers websites. The soonest ship date I found on a C2D notebook was around Sept. 21. Apple still has time. I think they want to release, and have them avaiable at that moment to consumers, instead of ordering and waiting around for it for 2 weeks.. makes sense to me. When the first order of PC C2D notebooks ship and are received by consumers, that is when I will get worried...

Realize that Apple could really care less about when PC makers release or ship C2D notebooks. Their marketing scheme is focused around product released on THEIR calendar, not anyone else's.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
miles01110 said:
Realize that Apple could really care less about when PC makers release or ship C2D notebooks. Their marketing scheme is focused around product released on THEIR calendar, not anyone else's.

O rly? Then why did they switch to the Intel platform? They can fleece way more out of Macheads by staying on PPC. If anything the Intel switch has brought us price cuts after price cuts... for much more performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.