One more day until G5 Updates?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by scu, Apr 16, 2005.

1. scu macrumors regular

Well, that is what TS is telling us. How do you all feel about having a mere 24 hours to contemplate the possibility of suddenly updating your systems? :)

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Great now I'm gonna stay up all night seeing when they close the Apple Store. But I'm excited! (Maybe an iBook G5 will be seen lol, or a PB G5)

3. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I don't think TS is saying that. I just looked, and all they have is the PowerMac/iMac/eMac updates within a few days of Tiger, so late April/early May.

4. James L macrumors 6502a

You should change the thread title slightly too:

"One more day until 90% of the people who have been whining about no PM updates now get to start threads about how lame the new updated machines are."

:D

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The NAB is tomorrow, that's why. :)

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

It was actually AppleInsider that reported on April 17th being the date:
    'The invitation-only event will kick-off Sunday, April 17th at 11:00 a.m. PST at the Rivoli Ballroom of the Paris Las Vegas Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. Apple has dubbed the event "The Production Value of HD." '

7. scu thread starter macrumors regular

LOL :D :D

However, I will join the crowd of whining. I am anxiously waiting for a much faster G5. If all we get is a 200 mhz speed bump I will be dissapointed since I will have to wait another 8 months before I can upgrade. I know I am very spoiled given that I have a 2.5 system right now. ;)

8. fedora macrumors member

I might buy a new powermac when they get released, But what I need to know is will I be able to use the RAM from my current PM G5 in it because it has 6.5 gig of kingson RAM in it, and it was expensive. Will it still be compatible?

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My first though is yes, unless Apple changes the specifications for the RAM in the next update. Not sure what will be announced at the 11am PDT press conference. Don't think they would be calling this conference if there wasn't something to announce. My curiosity is peaked. If Steve walks out then we will know something big is coming.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

They definitely wont be dual core as TS has suggested. Apple won't use NAB to announce such a revolutionary line of CPUs. If they did, it would be called the G6, and Apple is nowhere near ready to release G5 PB or G5 iBooks.

11. scu thread starter macrumors regular

Sunday has come and gone. Monday has come and gone. And now we are well into Tuesday and no new PowerMacs.

Is it even possible that Apple was hoping to have new PowerMacs to announce at NAB, but IBM could not even deliver the 200 mhz speed bump?

I am now of the opinion that IBM is so far behind that Apple will make a quite announcement some time in the next months without much fanfare. All emphasis for the next two months will be on promoting Tiger. Significant upgrades may still be 8 months away.

Too bad for I was ready to buy, but now I must wait. The good part is that when I do get a PM it will have a second or third update of Tiger making it one kick ass Machine. ;) :(

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think we'll hear about the upgrades next week - they want this time to push Tiger - especially since it looks like we're only getting speed bumps and no dual core machines

D

13. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yep.

I'm thinking we will hear some sort of hardware update with the availabilty of Tiger on the 29th. It would make some sense if they release new PowerMacs or new PowerBooks to go along with Tiger.

14. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Powerbooks recently updated...mac Mini recently released....and eMac/iMac/PowerMac updates soon...

iBook? Hello? Apple?

15. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

wouldnt it seem abvious that they are probally going to release them on the same day that they release tiger so that ppl will buy them at all of the apple store tiger premiers? just my opinion.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It looks like apple has moved to the yearly update just like bmw. at least now we know 12 months between new products. kind of sad.

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

18. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

It is. :)

19. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

The best statement made today! :) :) :)

20. scu thread starter macrumors regular

I disagree. When one follows the normal product cycle, a new product is introduced as soon as it is available and the demand curve is moving down. The demand curve has been going down on the PowerPC for a few months. The last quarterly report hinted at that. If Apple was ready with a new PowerMac they would introduce it rightaway.

Even though Tiger will ship in 10 days, I think we are setting ourselves up for excuses in order to justify the delay.

This is dejavu from 97. We were stuck at 500 mghz and the only item that assisted apple in turning their 5 straight quarterly losses was the new iMac. This time around it is the re designed iMac, along with the iPod and the Mac Mini. They have been given the extra time needed for IBM come up with faster chips.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That would be a great idea. If Steve makes the same offer that occurred with the Jaguar and Panther release, then a purchase of a new Mac can be purchased with a 10% discount. That is after the purchase of Tiger.

22. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Well, I've read through a few things, and I don't think we'll see an update until either next week or the week after. I'm considering the latter part. Then again, Apple surprises everyone all at once. GO APPLE!