One More New Powerbook user here!! WoW!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by daniviva, Sep 13, 2004.

1. daniviva macrumors newbie

Hey~ guys~

I just received my new 15"powerbook on this morning. I am so
    surprised that the standard shipping is super fast!! I ordered it with the ipod
    on 9/6, and I got the pb and ipod today!!

but I have a little question here: where can I check the configurations in the Mac OS X?? Is there a place like the control panel of Win XP, where we can see the system configurations in our computer? The reason I ask this question is I find that apple gave me a wrong keyboard, the one I ordered online is the backlite keyboard, but what i got is a original sliver keyboard( anyway, I don't mind it, actually, I like the sliver keyboard more, it matches the pb better!!) So, now, I start to suspect the other configurations :confused: (Would the manufacturer give me 64Mb Vram instead of 128Mb Vram which I ordered?) Therefore, I just want to check them and ensure what I got here is what I ordered.

anyway, the pb is really impressive!!I love it!!

Thanks,

2. JRam macrumors member

JRam

Im pretty new to the mac also, although I think I got I can answer this one.. To see system specs just click on the little apple in the upper left hand corner of the screen and then select "About this mac" and then from there select "More Info...", that should list the shtuff inside yer mac. And to edit basic settings you can also click on the apple icon in the corner and then select "System preferences..."

I recommend you take a look at some of the program recommendation threads to find some good programs to instal. I highly HIGHLY recommend either quicksilver or butler. Both of them let you do a quick search through your computer by using a key combination and then launch applications or open folders.

Glad to hear your enjoying your new toy =)

3. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

What PowerBook model did you get? If you got the 1.3 ghz model, then the Backlit Keyboard is an option, and if you DID get the 1.33 ghz model you cannot get the 128 mb video card.

It sounds like you got the 1.5 ghz model, which comes standard with the backilt keyboard, but not with the 128 video card. Thats just the way it is.

THe control panel, or a place to check your specs are in the Apple menu>about this mac>More Info. It will tell you about the computer there.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've never used a PB with the backlit keyboard, but maybe there's a setting in System Preferences that would allow you to turn it on or something.

Not quite sure. :confused:

5. James L macrumors 6502a

Hey,

To find out more about your Mac, go Apple Menu, About this Mac, More info.

To adjust your system settings, go to the Systems Preferences. If it isn't in your dock, it is in your applications folder (or the Apple menu).

On the note of the keyboard...I don't think the look of the keyboard is any different whether they are backlit or not. They are both silver. There is an option in the systems preferences, keyboard & mouse section to turn on and off your back lighting effect. It is a check box called "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions" or something like that. If you have this otion then you have the backlit keyboard I would guess. Also, the keyboard is only backlit in DARK situations, obviously, otherwise it just looks like any old other plain jane silver keyboard.

Cheers!

6. daniviva thread starter macrumors newbie

To JRam: Thanks!! I get it, and no problem with other configs!! Wo~

Ya~ I got the 15" 1.5Ghz pb, but it doesn't come with the backlit keyboard.... but never mind~ as I said before the sliver keyboard matches the pb much better!!

7. James L macrumors 6502a

The 1.5 Ghz PB comes with the backlit keyboard, and it isn't an option to not have it and to swap it for the basic keyboard.

Oh, and they are both silver!

8. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

dude.......watch out......the backlit keyb and the "regular" keyb are the SAME (if look at it.......) they're both aluminum - silver like........but the difference is that the backlit keyb has the blueish color under the keys, but this is a sensor light.............you won't see the backlit keys during the day..........

someone correct me if i'm wrong....

9. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

Nope, you are absolutely right. Look Here

As has been stated above, there is no difference in color between the Backlit and the non-Backlit keyboards. If you live in the USA, Australia, The U.K, or France and Germany have the backlit 'boards on their 1.5 gig models. You have been misinformed.

10. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Yep, this is correct.

I have the backlit keyboard myself. According to Apple, you have a backlit keyboard if:

* F8 key has a bar on it
    * F9 key has a bar with dots (ie, "sunshine")
    * F10 key has a bar with long dots (ie, "lots of sunshine")

These are the function buttons with which to adjust the backlit keyboard's brightness.

Of course, you could always just go to
    Finder > Applications > System Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard
    If you have a checkbox to "Illuminate Keyboard in Low Light Conditions," you have the backlit keyboard. :)

11. Mr. G4 macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Well if the ambiance light is bright enough the light wouldn't be on by itself.
    You can go to System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse -> Keyboard. There could be an option to turn on "Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions".
    You should also see on the Function keys F8 - F9 - F10
    F8 as Illumination OFF.
    F9 as Dimming.
    F10 a Brighter.

You can just press on F10 the keyboard light should be on...the characters on the keys should turn white instead of black.

12. Edot macrumors 6502

As has been previously stated the backlit keyboard and the regular keyboard LOOK identical. Backlit means that the characters and numbers on your keys will turn blue when it is in the dark. Try going into a closet with your PowerBook and shut the door and lights off. You will notice that the keys glow blue. There is no way yours didn't come without the keyboard as all 1.5Ghz PowerBooks have them. This function is for using your PowerBook at night and away from lights.

13. daniviva thread starter macrumors newbie

Oooooooo~ I finally realize it!!
    sorry~ guys ~! I made a stupid mistake!! :p

I thought the backlit keyboard is in black color and is a kind of semi-transparent material. (because I saw a guy used a 12"pb which has a black keyboard in college, and I regard that keyboard as the backlit keyboard, FOOLISH.....)

Thanks everyone!! and pls forgive me causing a problem to you, sorry guys!

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Without trying to flog a dead horse or seem to pedantic, it was the 15" Ti Powerbook that came with the black keyboard - and no it's not a backlit keyboard either! :p

Welcome to the Mac world and the Macrumors community, glad to hear your enjoying your new powerbood! :)

15. PeterD42 macrumors member

Do the Hokey Pokey

Take your left hand, put it over the left hand speaker. Now take your right hand and put it over the right hand speaker.
    Now wait and watch the lights come on.

16. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

What are you talking about? 12"pb NEVER came with black keyboards...maybe you are thinking of the old titanium powerbooks, which DID have black keyboards but no backlight...

17. NCTRNL macrumors regular

18. sebisworld macrumors 6502

I have one question regarding my 17" alBook. When I put it in a laptop bag and carry it around for a long time, I often find a kind of oil on the outer edge of the screen. I just use a Kleenex to get rid of it, but it would just be interesting to know what it is and where it comes from. This is my second PowerBook (and second bag too) and I had the same happen to my first.