One more reason Apple is a great company

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gizmotoy, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

This didn't really fit anywhere well, and I thought this was the best fit. Hopefully it doesn't annoy anyone here.

You see, I was a disgruntled PowerBook 12" owner. It was my first Mac, and I loved it... at first. I had more problems with it than I can count (display hinge, trackpad, ComboDrive), and today my ComboDrive failed for the 4th time. Obviously, I was less than happy. Apple reassured me that this is extremely unusual the last time I had it in, but apparently I have the worst luck in the world.

So I took it to the Kenwood (Cincinnati) Apple Store and asked to speak with a manager. About 40 minutes later I walked out with a brand new black MacBook. It was much appreciated after the frustration I went through with that particular PowerBook. I was just lucky I was able to use my wife's iBook to continue my grad school research while my PowerBook was off being fixed each time.

How many companies would replace a 3 year old laptop with a brand new one because the customer was having problems with the same component over and over? Not too many, I'd bet.

- An extremely happy Apple customer

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Glad to hear it was resolved. :)

And that is strange, the 12" PowerBooks are reliable little buggers.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Wow, that sucks that you had so much trouble, but it's great to hear that Apple took care of ya. Really, that's how it should be, but you're right - not many companies would have done that.

4. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

congrats! i'd love to take in an old machine and get a brand new one for no cost but all mine are working properly... :rolleyes:

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

That's great to hear that they replaced it. Do you know why they gave you a brand new black MacBook instead of a MBP. That seems odd because you had a PB.

6. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

The customers always right.

I am so glad you could use your powerbook for three years and then get a new macbook for free. That really makes me want to pay 1200 dollars in cash to replace my old powerbook.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It was probably because the macbook was the replacement for the 12" powerbook.

8. Gizmotoy thread starter macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

I suspect they go by the original purchase price if the model no longer exists, as it does in the case of the 12" PB. My 12" cost $1599 + $120 for the wireless card at the time, and the 15" MBP starts at $1999.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have accepted (or kept, at least) a MBP. I loved the size of the 12", and the MB is the closest thing now. I would have preferred a 13" MBP, but I'm happy with the outcome. Plus AppleCare is cheaper, which I'll most definitely be buying because of this experience.

So it worked out good for me. I'm quite happy.